52- End of Chapter 17

"N-No. Nothing," Halcyon raised his hands, although his cheeks continued to burn, "as I said repayment for your help. And I'll report you if you leave to go somewhere else, you're supposed to be here on paper for your safety." He paused. "School policy."

"They're not going to stop me from leaving!" Rue had gasped up at him with eyes that were sweeter than summer, puddled gold. "We're all adults here. Why would they care?"

"They will, if they find out you're sleeping all around campus illegally," Halcyon answered. "I'll track you." This had his smile growing. "I'll sniff you out."

Rue had snorted, and turned to look at him with a side glance. "Because you've decided that you're going to stalk me?"

"No, because I'll protect you."

"Oh, Halcyon, what makes you think I need protection? And from you of all people?" Rue's eyes had been sharp, but then there was a low sigh from him. A gentle voice that he loved so dearly escaped his lips, soft like fresh snow and feathers. "I—It wasn't about that." Rue looked at him then. "I know you're stronger now, that your past doesn't define you."

This had him smiling, his Alpha loving his attention, his care. "I'm no prey, I've grown."

"You're not a bunny," Rue agreed. "But I'm fine, I'm not—I'm not being attacked, Halcyon. I'm alright. It's safe here—"

"It's not safe," Halcyon replied sharply, pondering for a moment what would convince the small, little Alpha. A scent drifted in the air one that he loved dearly, but for now, had his eyes lighting up with excitement. A perfect solution."Levi's in the walls."

"In the walls?" Rue had blinked, then stared. "What?"

Halcyon had snapped a curled, beast-like hand into the shadows and tore the offending Alpha from the cracks. His fingers brushed over the Alpha's neck, over the scar of his mating bite. Levi sighed, a curled hiss that shuddered from the base of his throat as he was peeled from the darkness.

He sagged in Halcyon's now larger arm like a kitten, hanging from his claws. And Rue inhaled, noisy and sharp. The horror that ballooned across his face was one that Halcyon greedily relished. And when Rue stumbled back Halcyon knew he had won.

Levi groaned in his arms.

"Halcyonie," he'd lamented, "just trying to see what's going on. Thought you'll kill our newest baby." He struggled and then sagged. "Can you let go of me?" He glanced back at Rue, a flush on his cheeks. "This isn't how—I wanted you to know." He sucked on his lower lip, fidgeted. "Fuck."

Levi had the nerve to look at Rue like he was a prize as if he hadn't spent the earlier half of the year trying desperately to convince Halcyon to drop his first love. As if he hadn't scolded the duo, Halcyon and Valentino, saying that they were idiots for crushing so hard on an ugly prick.

Halcyon had stared at Levi and his soulmate seemed to remember that, avoiding his eyes with a haughty sniff.

Halcyon had scoffed. "You're just here because you want to kiss him." His teeth barred just a little, a hiss in his throat; warning edged in his voice. And Levi only smirked, head tilted annoyingly gorgeous, a pout on his lips. It reminded him that he had yet to taste Rue on his lips and that had him bristling.

"Jealousy is unbecoming on you Hal," Levi had mused, and this had him bristling. "It was guiding."

"Guiding," Halcyon repeated, eyes narrowing. He dropped Levi on the ground, and the hades hissed, rubbing his ass as he stood. "And you did it on Rue of all people knowing the record that you hold."