46- Beginning of Chapter 16

It was dangerous.

Even Mama would have her hide for considering the deal, much less walking into the den of a hades.

The top seven planets of the universe were the stuff of legend, their apex predators named after gods, a single citizen wealthier than the rest of the world. The top seven housed the emperors of the universe, the exploiters of the cosmos, and the elite.

Rich motherfuckers with silver spoons stuffed deep in their throats, planets where poverty meant a house, two cars, two kids and a wad of cash at the end of the month. Planets that did not have people living out on the streets in the cold, and children hungry at night.

Citizens of undeveloped planets would only speak of their kind in myths, fairytales, and stories. Dreams. Mostly because it didn't fucking matter to them what the rich dealt with when they had better things to worry about, like shelter, water and food.

Why learn about the aliens one couldn't touch or see?

Rue's brows furrowed, mind darting swiftly to the nights spent with her feet dangling from the railings of a stairwell, listening to her aunties sing with a croaky vocal fry. They'd perform naked on the pole to the oddest of songs, but Rue wasn't one to judge.

One controls the skies—the temperature, the climate, the universe.

Two reign in darkness—death, loss and destruction.

Three rules water—life, future, and seas.

Four's filled with beasts—carnality, warfare and the living.

Five, the house of love—sex, lust and dreams.

Six, a realm of wings—messages, parties and drink.

And seven, the land of light—growth, produce and beginnings.

And that was all that Rue knew of the top seven planets. Real information was highly classified, spread via word of mouth, and whispered amongst aristocrats and nobles. Which made even the smartest student—someone like Rue—a little daft when it came to the top.

Hades? They were from planet two, and they were said to be fiery, blood-loving and creepy. Her lips pursed, thoughts moving to the ugly hades mascot shirts with dark emo ink right up in a goth's ally. But a zeus? A being of One? Her mind spun, confused.

All she knew was that they shat clouds and pissed rainbows. They were walking showers and blow-dryers, could make rain and control the winds. But with clouds came lighting, which was why Rue knew without a doubt that she must have made a dangerous decision.

She'd call it revenge money-making. And like revenge procrastination, and revenge everything, it was decision-making coloured by stupidity. Because with Seraphim souring her thoughts, and a home ruined by an Alpha roommate, Rue wanted money fast. She wanted it heavy in her pockets, she wanted to be rich. She wanted enough for her to never get on her knees and need coin like she needed water.

She wanted to be free.

Kissing a hot hades who'd saved her ass seemed reasonable enough, but getting pimped out by him was not. Rue hissed. Especially if another customer wanted to kill her again. The rich were cows to be milked, but there was only so much she could give.

Her life was not one of them.

"No," she glared at Levi with a snarl, ignoring the zeus and his haughty demand. But the truth was, her pits were sweating. "I agreed to you. Just you." This had him pausing, eyes dragging over her, a pleased smile coiling across his face. He uncrossed his arms, and leaned back with a proud chafe from his nose. The idiot. "You're not pimping me out like your new whore for anyone who offers, just because you had first dibs."