Chapter 6

The sound that escaped Jaskier 's throat turned into an undignified snort, accompanied by slight fear. His face was still half hidden by the pale skin of Lyra's neck, even as her body shifted awkwardly and his sleep deepened. Uncertainly, he stirred and sleepily raised his head from where it had been just a few minutes ago. His wide eyes met Lyra's, and the realization of what had happened was instantly palpable in the room.

Lyra barely woke up and already felt a wave of feelings that threatened to overwhelm her. She moved away from Jaskier 's body, now the two of them sat naked in bed, their eyes glued and their inner turmoil seething. As she moved, a wave of dizziness caused her to stumble backwards and crash into the bed.

Before Lyra's head could touch the pillow, Eskel's hallucination appeared, the same as that time in the forest, when Lyra was left alone in her despair. Illusion did not approve of what she had done and shook her head disapprovingly. She felt a sickening feeling of shame and realized that he had seen them completely naked.

As Lyra and Jaskier struggled to meet each other's gaze, their own remorse was reflected in Jaskier 's wooden body

Lyra, aware of the need to break the silence, spoke first, her voice hesitant but decisive. " Perhaps," she began, her gaze finally meeting Jaskier 's, " we'd better not dwell on this."

Jaskier , feeling guilty, nodded in response, his thoughts momentarily lost in contemplation.

Jaskier couldn't help but cast a reassuring glance at her as she lay there in the half-drip sun that penetrated even the dark corners of the room. She looked at the ceiling.

Jaskier ran his fingers through his hair nervously. He swallowed loudly, his palms sweating as he thought about the words he wanted to say. He cleared his throat and asked in a trembling voice: " But..."

Lyra tore her gaze away from the ceiling and turned her head, her eyes focusing as she looked at him with a confused but intrigued expression.

Jaskier continued: " Did you like it? Although... you, you lost..."

He felt guilty for sleeping with a seventeen-year-old girl, even though he was twice her age. His voice trailed off as he became lost in thought.

Lyra simply shrugged and said: " I was drunk, so I didn't really feel anything." But... I think I liked it," she added with a soft, shy smile.

Jaskier smirked at the thought of the shared moment between the two of them and then slowly added. "We can always do this again..."

At this, Lyra shook her head and rolled her eyes, looking away. But then her expression softened and she looked around the room fondly, as if recalling the events of that night.

Jaskier smiled and leaned back in his chair, glad that this awkward moment was over.

Lyra, sitting on the edge of the bed, stared blankly at the floor, lost in the maze of her thoughts.

Jaskier looked hopefully in Lyra's direction. " Lyra," he began, his voice sounding with a hint of anticipation, " I have a concert at the tavern tonight." Would you consider coming and hearing me sing?

Lyra sighed heavily and looked at him with tired eyes. " I don't know, Jaskier . I'm just not in the mood"

Jaskier 's face fell, and a hint of resentment crept into his tone. " You used to like it when I sang for you," he said, disappointment lacing his words. " I thought you might want to relive some of those memories."

Lyra's frown deepened and she shifted uncomfortably. " Please, Jaskier ," she muttered, " don't remind me that I was practically a child when you were already a famous bard." It's awkward.