13

(few changes, read)
Fantasia

"Paparazzi!" Taraji snapped with frustration.
"This is not good!" she started pacing on the floor. I was speechless cause damn how did that happen? We were careful.

"It was Nia!! It was her. I know it was her petty ass!" Taraji snapped pacing on the floor. She called Nia.

Taraji: how could you call paparazzi, you know how low you had to stoop for this?"
Nia: oh honey I really don't know what the fuck you are talking about. What are you on about Taraji?
Taraji: you know! You know what? I was happier when you didn't talk to me. Get the fuck out of my life.
Nia: wow T. Okay then. If this is what you want then okay, and I thought we were making progress. Fine!.

Nia hung up.

Truth is it wasn't Nia, it was us. We broke up and stopped being careful. Whether Nia is the one who sold the scoop, the fact is we lost our urge and this one is on us.
"We can't blame Nia, it's our fault, ever since we broke up we care a lot less about the public and our image in the tabloid. We used to be very careful about that. We broke us and broke our values, this one is on us, Raji!" I said. She stopped pacing.

"truth is I didn't even want us to beak up. The truth is I messed up. I wanted us to work so bad baby. I wanted to marry you. But that's not the point, the point is I shouldn't have broken us up. I should have given you the ring because yes I can't marry a woman who is still making decisions with her ex-husband. But I shouldn't have ended the relationship. Our relationship was a good thing, it was good for us both. We need each other, yes we are not ready to take big steps and I'm not sure marriage is an option for us. But us just purely dating? I need that, I miss that already, I want that. So can we talk about cutting marriage out of the table, out of the equation,  talk about dating each other? Cause I still want you, with, without marriage. Baby it is the marriage thing that doesn't fit in our agenda, but this...us? This works, we make each other happy. Or am I incorrect?"

I nodded. "You are not wrong, absolutely not babe, I would like to continue dating you too baby. And yes marriage is a big step and a much bigger conversation. I agree, maybe somewhere in the future if everything fits, but not in this presence, we are not ready for that, at least I'm not, I thought I was but it sounds impossible now. I love you so much though, please let that be out there, it doesn't mean I feel any less about you or any more about my ex. It is just more complicated than I anticipated. But I want this. Us"

She nodded. We hugged it out. I knew how much she loved my hugs. and then we shared a kiss.
"so what are we gonna do about Paparazzi and Nia?" I asked  "The paparazzi didn't see anything solid. All we did was hug. So they have nothing factual to plow speculation on. We can handle this and make it seem like they are ridiculous. Unless anyone calls for comment, I don't think we should be reacting or replying at all. Silence is a great weapon. And leave Nia to me, it is me she has a problem with. I will talk to her, hopefully for the last time ever"

I waited for the coast to be clear before I drove home.

The following morning.
We were the morning topic. The breaking news.

*Taraji and Fantasia's friendship is odd*

*Are they really friends or there is more to this strange relationship?*

*boy, Taraji does cry a lot in Fantasia's presence. Are those tears?*

Every headline made my skin crawl. It made my blood cringe.

I called to check on her. She was alright. Taraji knows how to handle the tabloid, she doesn't let that ruin her day. I admire that about her.

We ignored the statements made about us on the internet and avoided seeing together for a week. And eventually, it all died down.