chapter3

As soon as I stepped inside the house, I realized that I had left my blood bags behind. I cursed quietly under my breath, knowing that I needed them before morning. Without wasting any time, I called a cab and explained that it would be a round trip - first to retrieve my belongings from the inn, and then back to my temporary home.

The cab ride ended up costing me 200 dollars, but I wasn't too concerned about the expense. Once I settled back into my temporary home, I made myself comfortable on the couch. I poured the contents of my blood bags into a glass and began drinking when suddenly, there was a loud pounding on my door. I quickly set my drink down and hurried to open the door.

To my surprise, it was Jacobs standing there, urging me to come along. He said they might need my help. Without hesitation, I followed Jacob out the door and hopped into the back of his truck. I had no idea what was going on, but I prayed that my mate was safe. We arrived at the Swans' house in just 10 minutes, a journey that would normally take 45 minutes.

"Jacob, you and Mikaelson - or Klaus, whatever you prefer - stay out here," Jacobs dad instructed. "I'll call old Quill if I need him. Be on standby, Jacob."

Curiosity piqued, I asked Jacob what was happening. He explained that Charlie, Bella's dad, had mentioned that she had been screaming in her sleep and couldn't stop. They thought that tribal medicine might help, considering that Dr. Cullen, who worked at the hospital, might only make things worse. I suggested a dream catcher, but also mentioned that if their tribal medicine wasn't enough, I knew of a witch in New Orleans who could assist.

Jacob seemed defensive, thinking that I doubted their medicine. I quickly reassured him, apologizing for any offense caused. I understood that tribal medicine and magic were often dismissed or appropriated, and I meant no harm. Just then, Billy joined us, mentioning that Bella had been bitten by a vampire and that old Quill was on his way.

I stood tall, anger coursing through me. "Cold ones venom? Are you telling me that those sparkling creatures bit my mate?"