Chapter 11

"What? What is it?" Peter got upstairs as fast as he could, and he was out of breath by the time he reached the med bay. Everyone was crowding around a still unconscious Percy, who was now lying down on a bed with white sheets. 

Tony had gotten there a few seconds before, and he stepped out of the crowd. "Kid, it's best if you don't see this." He tried to turn Peter away, walking out with him, until Peter slapped his hand off of his shoulder. 

Peter gasped, surprised at what he just did. It obviously hadn't hurt Tony, seeing as he just raised an eyebrow at the kid, but Peter was horrified. What had he done? "I- I'm so sorry, Mr. Stark! I didn't mean it, I'm just really worried but that's no excuse, I'm so so so sorry." Stupid, stupid Peter. He had just hit Tony, IronMan, and now he was probably going to hate him. His breathing became labored, and he felt like his throat was closing up. How? It felt like something was stuck in his throat, stopping him for getting the air he so desperately craved. What was happening?

Tony looked behind him to see that some of the team was staring at Peter, everyone knew what was happening. That is, everyone except Peter, who had started to grab at his own throat. Tony decided to lead Peter out the room, away from the many concerned eyes. He took Peter into a bigger room, sure to leave the door open so that he didn't feel trapped. Peter's glazed eyes looked around, clearly confused. Tony slowly reached for Peter's hands and took them in his own, so that he wouldn't choke himself. All Tony could hear was Peter's shallow breathing, and the occasional mutter of "I'm so sorry, Mr. Stark." Why was he having such a reaction to simply swatting away Tony's hand?

Tony tried speaking to Peter, but he could tell that he was in his own head too much to hear him. "Pete, Pete. Hey, kiddo. Can you hear me?" Anything he tried, it was no good. He squeezed his hands, trying his best to at least ground Peter. He looked at Tony, but his mind was in a different world, and he could see that. 

So, Tony tried the only other thing he could think of.

He placed his hand on Peter's chest, and placed Peter's hand on his. He breathed in and out, slowly, hoping Peter would copy him. It took a little over ten minutes for it to happen, but slowly Peter's eyes regained focus. 

After about another three minutes, Peter was able to breathe without any aide, and tears welled up in his eyes,  which he quickly tiled his head back to force to go away. He swallowed the lump in his throat and forced himself to look Tony in the eyes. "I'm so, so, so, sorry, Mr. Stark. I- I have no idea what just happened but you didn't have to do that. I'm fine, I was going to be okay." He gave Tony a sad smile, then looked back down at the floor. "But I'm so sorry I hit you, I shouldn't have done that and- and I know I need to be punished for that and I'm just so-"

"Peter." He looked at Tony in the eyes again. "I'm not mad, and I'm not going to punish you. Why would I, you're just a kid, and you were acting on impulse. That's how it's supposed to go, especially for someone with your... capabilities. I want, no, need you to act on your impulse. Okay?"

Peter smiled once again, and nodded. "Okay, thank you Mr. Stark." He cleared his throat, "but I'm still really sorry for... whatever it was that just happened and you- you didn't have to help. And you won't, if that ever happens again. I'll get a control on myself." Peter then muttered, "but I really, really hope that doesn't happen again."

Tony raised an eyebrow. "You don't know what that was?" Peter shook is head. "Peter, you just had a panic attack."

Peter scoffed. "A panic attack? Me? Spider-man? No, no I think it had to be something else. Like, maybe an allergic reaction or something. I'm okay, really!" He started to stand, but Tony put a hand on his shoulder, singling him to sit back down. Peter thought for a moment. They had learned about panic attacks and anxiety disorders in health class, but him? No, it couldn't be. He was Spider-man, superhero's don't get anxiety.

As if reading his mind, Tony said "A lot of people can get panic attacks, Peter. Even superheroes. I got them a lot, especially after the New York battle with Loki. And, I still do, sometimes. It's not a weakness. It's just something that can happen sometimes. Yours was, really severe. You said you've never had one before?" Tony questioned, and Peter nodded, though he still thought the idea was ridiculous. "Panic attacks can happen for a lot of different reasons. Maybe you had a flashback, maybe you were overwhelmed, maybe you've been keeping something pent up, it could be some sort of trauma you have. Or, it could just be something strictly medical. Any of those sound like something?"

Peter mentally reviewed the list. Did he have trauma? No. He did have some sort of flashback, he was overwhelmed because of Percy. He has his secrets about the mask, and other secrets, but that couldn't be it. He hadn't had a panic attack. "Nope, sorry Mr. Stark." Peter looked up at the time. 

6:14pm 

"Shoot, I gotta go Mr. Stark! I'll see you tomorrow, goodnight!"

"Kid-"

But it was too late, Peter was already on his way home. May was going to have his head.

a/n:

oooh, plot twist? sorry this story is kind of straying from percy bro's just kinda unconscious and i have a plot i can fit in while he's yk dying. anyways 1k reads? thank you soooo much!! i'm so glad you guys r enjoying this story! anyways expect some irondad :)