𝟎𝟐𝟐. 𝐒𝐨𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥 𝐀𝐧𝐱𝐢𝐞𝐭𝐲

Melanie had always struggled with social anxiety. The thought of being in a crowded room, surrounded by people she didn't know, filled her with an overwhelming sense of dread. It wasn't just the fear of saying the wrong thing or making a fool of herself; it was the physical symptoms that came with it - the racing heart, the trembling hands, the tightness in her chest.

Tonight was no different. She had reluctantly agreed to attend a party with her boyfriend, Jay, knowing how important it was to him. But as they approached the door, Melanie felt the familiar wave of panic wash over her.

"Are you okay, Mel?" Jay asked, his voice filled with concern as he noticed her hesitation.

Melanie forced a smile, trying to mask the turmoil brewing inside her. "I'm fine," she replied, her voice sounding unconvincing even to her own ears.

But Jay knew her too well. He could see the tension in her shoulders, the way her brands trembled slightly at her sides.

"Hey, it's okay," he said gently, reaching out to take her hand in his. "We don't have to stay if you're not comfortable."

Melanie felt a rush of gratitude wash over her. Jay always seemed to know exactly what she needed, even when she couldn't articulate herself.

But a part of her also felt guilty. She didn't want to be the reason Jay couldn't enjoy himself, especially when she knew how much he loved socializing.

"No, no, it's okay," she insisted, giving his hand a squeeze. "Let's go in."

Taking a deep breath, Melanie followed Jay into the bustling party. The noise and the chatter assaulted her senses, making her feel like she was drowning in a sea of voices.

She tried to focus on Jay, on the reassuring touch of his hand in hers, but it was hard to block out the overwhelming stimuli.

As they made their way through the crowd, Melanie could feel the panic rising inside her. She could feel the eyes of strangers on her, judging her every move.

Suddenly, she felt a surge of nausea hit her, and she knew she needed to get out. Without a word, she turned and fled, pushing her way through the crowd until she burst out of the front door and into the cool night air.

She leaned against the wall of the house, gasping for breath as tears streamed down her cheeks. She felt so embarrassed, so ashamed of her inability to handle such a simple social situation.

"Melanie?"

She looked up to see Jay standing in the doorway, concern etched on his face.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, her voice barely above a whisper. "I couldn't... I couldn't do it."

Jay crossed the distance between them in an instant, pulling her into his arms. "It's okay, Mel," he murmured, his voice soothing against her ear. "You don't have to apologize. I understand."

Melanie clung to him desperately, feeling the weight of her anxiety finally start to ease. She let herself cry, the tears soaking Jay's shirt as he held her close.

"I hate feeling like this," she admitted, her voice trembling with emotion.

"I know, sweetheart," Jay replied, rubbing circles on her back in a comforting gesture. "But you're not alone. I'm here for you, always."

They stood there in the quiet of the night, wrapped up in each other's arms. And as Melanie felt the panic slowly start fade, she knew that she was exactly where she needed to be - with Jay, her anchor in the storm of her anxiety.