Chapter 7 - Ana

Song Recommendation:
Better Man by Taylor Swift

The dinner incident did shake me up. I still can't wrap my head around what Amelia said. Niall loves me? There can be some misunderstanding but this? He's never had feelings for me. I was just a fling. Although, we get tensed when we are around each other, but that's because he knows I loved him. All along.

It's 4 am and I can't sleep. All these newfound informations are messing with my head. Sometimes, I wish he was a Better Man. I wish he knew what he wanted. I just wish he's happy, if it's with Amelia, then be it. I don't want to look at him all wasted and always on alcohol. This is simply not it. I tried everything in me to get him back to his normal self the last time he was like this. No matter how much I try to stay away from him, my mind always wanders back to his subject when I'm alone. A sudden knock on the door interrupts my thoughts. I furrow my eyebrows and get up to open the door. Who could it possibly be at this time of the night? When I open the door slightly to peep out, my heart rate picks up at the person in front of me.

"Open the door Ana." He demands, the smell of alcohol mixed with his cologne fills the space between us.

"No," I say sternly, even though my insides started crumbling. "This is not your room. It's the opposite one."

By this, I shut the door, but before I could, he put his foot forward between the door and the doorframe. Without any warning, he pushed the door wide open, walks past me and sits on my bed. He raised an eyebrow motioning me to come sit on the bed beside him. I shook my head and grabbed a chair from the dining table, putting it in front of him. I sat on the chair, putting enough space between us.

"What is it Niall?" I say looking at the ground. He doesn't answer, but he opens his coat, grabbing a flask out and taking a sip. He reaches his flask forward for me to take. When I don't make any move, he simply draws back his hand and sighs.

"Ana, I know I hurt you. And I'm sorry. For everything. You have to know, that I regret it all. It shouldn't have been like that. I Lo-" I interrupt him quickly.

"No, Niall, don't complete that." I say quickly, shaking my head vigorously as tears start forming in my eyes. He looks at me and we lock our eyes staring at each other until he gets up and walks out of the door. I just sit in the same spot staring at my bed where Niall was seated a few minutes ago as my mind drifts off to a memory.

September 13, 2019

"Ana, get ready. We are heading out." Jenna said as she walks in our dorm room.

"Jen, I'm sorry, I can't come with you. I've to finish this." I type on my laptop, not even bothering to look up. I have to finish this assignment by weekend.

"I think it can wait because today is-" she stops herself as she looks at me. "Woah, where are you going?" My cheeks burn as I was caught lying.

"I...um..I.. it's my friend's birthday." She looks at me suspiciously, norrowing her eyes. Suddenly, her eyes widen so much, it could've popped out of her socket.

"Is this friend that mysterious boy who was your first kiss?" I nod, slightly confused. "Is he Mr. 'I always wanted to do that.'?" I nod again and I widen my eyes at the realisation.

I did not tell Jenna about my encounters with Niall on the rooftop, so she just assumes him to be a mysterious junior. Jenna's mouth hung open at the realisation.

"OH.MY.GOD. ANA D'SOUZA, YOU ARE DATING NIALL FUCKING HORAN!!?? AND WHY DIDN'T I KNOW IT?" She literally screams and I had to shut her up by smacking my palm on her mouth.