Chapter 9 - Ana

Present Day

I'm woken up by the sound of my phone going off continuously. I pick up to see 3 missed call from my mother so, I decided to call them back after I freshen up. As I got down from my bed, a particular wrist watch catches my attention. I picked it up and examined carefully, then realising it is Niall's. He must've left it here when he came last night.

Last Night...a huge sigh escaped my lips at the thought. Niall almost said he loved me. I mean, I knew he did, but hearing it come from his mouth would have broken me down completely. How foolish the universe is! Back when my love for him was kept opened up on his plate, he refused to accept it. Now, after all these years, he is back with his own plate to offer, while mine's all packed up. Don't get me wrong, my love for him is immortal. It will never die. But, it doesn't mean, I'm going to offer it to him, again. Because the last time I did, all I got in return was my heart cut into millions of pieces.

I quickly brushed my teeth, washed my face and went on with my morning routine. After a long argument with myself, I decided to put my hair up in a ponytail. Once I felt like I am presentable, I grabbed the watch from the table and made my way to the room opposite mine.

I took a huge breath and knocked at the door twice. Much to my luck, no one answered. After a few moments of standing in the hallway, I twisted the doorknob, surprisingly it opened, letting me in.

As I invited myself inside, I heard a faint sound of someone playing a piano followed by their singing.

If everything was easy, nothing ever broke,
If everything was simple, how would we know?
How to fix your tears?How to fake a show?
How to paint a smile? Yeah, How would we know?
How good we have it though?

Niall was playing a small keyboard while humming the music along, just in his basketball shorts. His hair is all over the place. Looking at him, I would assume, he just woke up. There were days, when I used to wake up to this sight, except he didn't look as stressed as he is right now. Those were my beautiful mornings so far in life. Bringing myself out of the haze, I cleared my throat loudly, making him turn around.

"I...I came to return this. You left it in my room..' I stuttered as I lifted up the watch. He nodded his head, reaching forward his hand and I quickly handed it over.

His eyes return to mine as I stand there uncomfortably. The air in the room suddenly becomes so thick that I'm unable to breathe. I shift from one leg to another as I put my hands in my sweatpant pockets trying to ease up the tension a bit.

"That song....is nice." The words come out of my mouth with nervousness laced with it. "New Album?"

He simply gives a sharp nod, not budging an inch. His eyes still fixed on mine, brows furrowed. Just when I open my mouth to say something, he cut me off.

"We need to talk." I was totally dumbfounded at his words. There's nothing left to talk. I think 3 years back, he made his decision and chose Amelia. At the same time, I made mine and chose to build a new life. It's time we both moved on. I love him, but I can't drag him with me forever. We are a perfect example of right people, wrong time.

"There's nothing to talk." I mumbled turning around to leave but his voice stopped me.

"Ana, I want to explain. I can explain. If you think it's too late, I don't think so. I've searched for you all along, but you were very much secured. I couldn't reach you." His voice sounded too desperate making me turn around and face him.

I can't keep doing this. We need closure. I can't keep running away from things or talks just because they make me uncomfortable.

"Meet me at the hotel cafeteria at 4. We can talk."