Chapter 15 - Ana

"Hey baby, I missed you so much." I mumbled into Lia's hair as I hugged her tightly to my chest. This little girl in my arms is the only hope left in my life. She is my strong pillar, my motivation to be a better person. She is my everything.

My flight back home was very painful. I'd admit it was more harder than the previous time. I can't seem to contain the tears inside my eyes, they keep streaming down my face uncontrollably. Now that I'm home, I wish everything fades away.

"Mumma, why are you crying?" She wiped the tears from my cheek, I didn't even realised staining them.

"I just missed you." I smiled lightly, trying to get rid of the tears.

"Me too.." she trailed off giving me peck on the cheek. The more I look at her, the more I miss him. She looks just like him. Now that she's growing, her face highlights the features she got from her father. I just hope, she doesn't turn out to be like him.  I hope, she doesn't go around breaking people's hearts like him.

"Ana, can I talk to you for a minute?" My mom's voice brings me back from my haze. We both enter the kitchen and a sigh escapes my mother's lips.

"This is Lia's passport, it came by the mail this morning." I nod and take it from her. "Also, you got this letter." I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. But, when I see what it is, my eyes widen and a big smile takes over my face.

Ms. Ana D'Souza,

We are delighted to share the news that you have been promoted as the Team Leader of the upcoming project. This is a 1 year long process and we are expecting you to join us in 10 days at the headquarter in London.

-DNT and Team

This has been my dream ever since I started working. I wanted to become the Team Leader and work on my project. After waiting for 2 years, the company finally approved my idea. But, they want me to move to London? For any normal person, this offer would've been mind blowing but for me it isn't. I can't move to London. That city haunts me. All that city's ever given me is Pain and Heartbreak. I can't move there.

"Why you look so tensed?" My mom's voice snaps me out of the thoughts running in my head as I look at her.

"I got promoted to be the Team Leader." My voice comes out in a monotone void of any emotions. On the other hand, my mother squeals as she hugs me.

"I'm so proud of yo-" I cut her off in the same monotone voice.

"They want me to move to London." My words bring a sudden pause to my mother's movement.

"What?" She whispered, bringing her eyebrows together.

"Yes." I sighed as I sat on the barstool. "The headquarters' in London and I need to report there in 10 days. I guess, I'll have to turn this down. It's a year long project an-" This time my mother cuts me off with a questioning look on her face.

"I don't quite get the reason why you'd want to turn that offer down."

"Mom, it's London. He lives there." Since, the look on her face doesn't go away, I continue. "Mom, you of all people should know what that city has ever done to me."

My mother soon sits on the barstool next to mine and rubs her palm on my back. "Ana, I didn't raise a daughter who'd run away from her fears. You are strong. Just because that city and the guy living there hurt you, you can't turn down your dream. You've worked for this so long." My mother's words of encouragement brings a fresh wave tears to my eyes.

"He knows."  Her hands stops their movement, making me turn to her. She nods her head asking me to go on. "He wanted to fix things but he's engaged." My voice cracked at the thought of him being with someone who's not me.

"Everything happens for a reason. It's good he's moving on in his life, you have to as well." She picked up the letter from the table and brought it in front of me. "This thing right here is your opportunity for a new start. The ball is in your court, baby. You have to choose if you wanna hit it and see what happens next, or put the racket down and walk away." She stood up from her spot and started walking towards the door. "Have something to eat and go to bed. Goodnight."

***************

I am again facing the trouble of not being able to sleep. Lia is sound asleep next to me while I'm left staring at the wall on the opposite side.

This problem of mine started when I was pregnant, the period followed by my breakup with Niall. Every night, I get swallowed by his thoughts and all the bittersweet memories which ultimately lead to the sleepless nights.

Tonight, it's mostly about the job offer. I'm still not sure if I should take it or not. If I take that job, mine as well as Lia's life would take a 360 degree spin. She'll have a better quality of living and now that she's almost three, she needs to start going to Nursery. If I make it to London, my pay-check would be 3 times more compared to now and I'd be able to provide more conveniently to my daughter.

On the other hand, if I turn the offer down, I'll have to work my ass off everyday and still I won't be making enough money. Looking at Lia sleeping peacefully, I want that peace in her face forever. I want her to think that her mother is enough for her. I want to be able to give each and everything she wishes for. I want her to not face any kind of financial inconvenience. I want her to have a better life.

Just because I was hurt in the past, doesn't mean I'll be hurt again. I can't keep crying like this anymore. Lia has a family in London who love her unconditionally. She is aware of Jenna but not anyone else. I've kept that part away from her. Also her father. But, I don't want her to know about him. Our life would be so much better in London if we keep a low profile and stay out of the spotlight.

But Niall? Knowing him, I'm sure he'll want to meet Lia. He'd be on my doorstep the moment we land in London. On second thoughts, maybe I'll let him meet Lia, not as her father thought. According to Lia, parents live under the same roof. I don't want her little belief to be broken when she finds out about her parents. I think it's better if Niall never finds out about me moving back. It's not like I'm going to run into him, London's not that small.

All of my thoughts brought me to my next decision as I grab my phone dialling the number I haven't used in years. I wonder if he'll pick up considering he wouldn't have my number. After a few rings, his raspy voice fills in my ears.

"Hello?"

"Harry, I need your help."