|| 03 ||

I'd never believed in bad luck

Despite a few chronological events in my life having caused major setbacks both financially as well as my own mental health, I'd learnt to adapt and overcome to the best of my ability.

Wallowing in self pity had never been an option for a teenager who had to raise a teen sister while simultaneously struggling to adapt to becoming the head of a fabric store, attending university abroad and paying for her sister's tuition and other living expenses.

My Gauri, my Chutki, had been my entire world since the death of our parents.

I'd done what I'd done in life to ensure she never felt the loss of our parents as deeply as I had. I could never replace Maa and Papa in her mind or heart—— and nor did I want to—— but I did want her to remember that even after they passed away, while growing up, she'd never been subjected to her needs and wishes not being fulfilled.

But now—— standing in front of flashing lights and murmurs of reporters—— I believed in one person changing the course of one's life so drastically, that their entire world turned upside down.

And while it may seem petty, I did not have any qualms in saying that Mr. Shivaay Singh Oberoi—— the most akhdu and sadu baagadh billa I'd ever met in my twenty six years of existence—— was bad luck. He'd not only managed to threaten to fire me if I did not do as he asked, but had decided to uproot my entire life in a couple of seconds with a mere few words.

I felt his hand squeeze mine—— making me glance at him with a frown. He replied with a warning glint in his eyes as his lips stayed stretched thin in a less-than-pleased smile.

"Erm, what about your engagement to Tia Kapoor?" A reporter asked, confused.

Great! Was I to be labelled a home wrecker now?

"Miss Kapoor and I have never had a relationship, and neither will we ever, in the future." Mr. Oberoi ran a thumb over my knuckles, before bringing my hand up to his lips and brushing his lips over the back on my palm gently.

I watched as the senior Oberois looked at me with an expression conveying confusion and happiness; Omkara and Rudra looked at me with matching quizzical expression, while my sister merely stared at me, open mouthed.

Shit!

My sister was gonna kill me!

I was unsure if Gauri was shocked that I was 'dating' at all rather than 'dating' her boyfriend's older brother.

I'd never been in a relationship long enough to introduce them to my little sister. Gauri was everything to me, and I knew she would interrogate my boyfriend to the point that they would run for the hills, never to be seen again. And after finding out at the age of twenty—— something I hadn't been able to tell my Chutki yet—— I'd decided to never break someone's heart with the inevitable.