|| 16 ||

My mother used to call me an unpredictable social butterfly

Any time there would be a new neighbour moving in, or the relative of a neighbour visiting, I'd always be the first to greet them—— no even the neighbours themselves.

I'd open the door of our apartment, and rush outside with the box of homemade chocolate chip cookies that my mother absolutely loved to make every weekend.

Despite the fact that Chutki and I weren't supposed to eat them unless we had explicit permission from Maa herself, we'd convince our father to steal a few by distracting Maa and giving them to us.

The relationships I'd strike up with people were quite a bizarre occurrence as per my parents' words.

No matter what age they were, or what their interests were, I'd always manage to form a bond with them.

My mother could never predict what would happen—— would I end up with Didi number forty-two, or a Bhaiya number fifty-three? Would I get a Sima Nani or Aradhya Dadi?

My mother used to say I was the person who was responsible for the most unpredictable things in her life—— she always made it sound like a good thing.

I'd never imagined that there would be a time in my life when I'd meet someone who'd cause unpredictable things to happen in my life.

Unfortunately for me—— a kanji aankhon wala baagadh billa bumping into me and making me fall into him had resulted in the most unpredictable and embarrassing situations of my life.

It took about zero point three four seconds to register that my lips were pressed onto his, my hands on his chest, as one of his arms rested on my waist.

"Shivaay, tu yahan——"

"Annika Di, aap——"

We both turned to face Gauri and Om, wide-eyed, as they stared at us open-mouthed.

I scrambled to get off him, tucking the strands of curled hair that framed my face. My cheeks and neck heated up in embarrassment as my sister's eyes darted from me to Mr. Oberoi while Om arched an eyebrow, clearly struggling to not burst out laughing.

"What's happening?" Gauri mumbled feverishly.

"Nothing," Mr. Oberoi dismissed my sister with a wave.

"Didn't seem like nothing to me," Om smirked.

"We both lost our balance, Om," Mr. Oberoi rolled his eyes.

"Chutki, stop staring at me like that," I shook my head in exasperation at my sister who was blinking and gaping like a goldfish.