ch. 9 - birthday pt. 1

wonbin
(ik this sounds weird but this whole birthday thing actually happened so)

8:12 AM

hey

hey

uh so it's my birthday today

wait rly??

yeah lol
anyways we're sending out invites for my party and you're getting one

:D

shotaro excitedly threw his phone across the phone onto his bed. he spun around in his chair, reaching his desk and pulling a couple of blank papers out. cards, okay. wonbin's has to be good.

he grabbed a bunch of colored pencils and got to work, a vibration erupted from his phone. he groaned, rolling his chair over to his bed. he accepted the call. "hey."

"happy birthday, taro!" sungchan's voice was heard over the phone. "are you still having that birthday party?" shotaro nodded.

"uh, well, some of the kids can't make it because they're doing their nct showcase thing on that day." sungchan heaved a sigh.

"what? really?"

"yeah." the blonde boy pouted. "so that's why i got us tickets for their concert for my birthday!" sungchan cheered over the phone.

"oh shit, i'll be seeing mark for the first time in like...2 years."

"what the HELL is all that noise?!"

shotaro silently cursed, preparing to end the call. "sorry dude, i'll call you back, bye!" once he jabbed the button, a 13 year old barged downstairs with a frown.

"dude, do you know what time it is?! it's yesterday!" ni-ki yelled, tiredly rubbing his eyes. "why are you literally fully dressed?!"

"it's my birthday, riki." shotaro deadpanned, turning to his brother. "i'm turning 17 today."

the younger boy's jaw dropped as realization hit him. "ohh. happy birthday. i'm going back to bed like a normal person." he emphasized the last two words, earning an eyeroll from his brother.

shotaro turned back to his phone, but was surprised to see an incoming call from wonbin. he picked up in an instant. "hello? wonbin?"

"hey shotaro! happy birthday!"

the older boy's cheeks blushed at the fact that wonbin went out of his way at 8 o'clock in the morning to wish him a happy birthday. "thank you! thank you so much!"

he heard wonbin's laugh over the phone, which made joyful shivers run up his spine. "of course. when will the party be? where will it be?"

"incheon munhak stadium at 6pm. a bunch of my friends are having a showcase for their group nct, so i just wanted to check it out for half an hour or so. after the concert, we'll go to karaoke." shotaro yawned, about to prepare breakfast for himself.

wonbin gasped. "nct? you're kidding, right? that's my brother's group."

shotaro let out a 'huh'. "what? that's so cool! me yeah, mark lee and i were in a couple of classes together before he debuted."

"woah." wonbin chuckled. "anyways, who's invited? who are you bringing?"

"you, sungchan, lucas, kevin, keeho, anton, sohee, eunseok, ricky, and seunghan." the younger boy groaned at the mention of seunghan's name.

shotaro scoffed. "cry all you want, he's still one of my best friends, and he's going." wonbin continued to whine. "shut up!"

~time skip to the concert because i'm so lazy~

"wonbin!" shotaro ran to the said boy, embracing him in a tight hug which the boy gladly accepted.

"hey, shotaro." wonbin smiled warmly, shoving seunghan away who also wanted a hug. "nice day today, isn't it?"

"fuck you." seunghan stumbled back, dusting himself off. "i just want to hug my best friend." wonbin shot the boy a glare.

"i'd rather shotaro not be contaminated by your stupidity." the black-haired boy shielded shotaro from seunghan.

suddenly, wonbin was dogpiled by both eunseok and sohee. they captured the boy in a hug, and shotaro could feel his hand subconsciously ball into fist. he calmed himself down. "guys, let's go in now. the show's starting soon."

~after the concert~

"i did not know mark's body was still capable of even moving. i'm honestly sad we're leaving early." sungchan laughed, catching up to shotaro. "i always thought of him as a grandpa."

"real." kevin patted sungchan on the back. "i remember when me and mark took like a joint family trip back to canada and he tripped on his house porch. good times."

"hey!" keeho exclaimed, messing up kevin's hair. "why would you mention canada and not mention me?" kevin scoffed. he pushed keeho aside.

"move aside, dude. the real canadian is talking here." kevin smirked. keeho dramatically gasped.

"who the fuck is debating over who is more canadian?!" seunghan rested his headphones on his neck, throwing his arm around shotaro. just then, wonbin came from behind the japanese boy to pry seunghan's arm off and replace it with his own.

"anyway, shotaro." wonbin grinned, ignoring the black-haired boy who was currently trying to stare a hole through him. "are we going to karaoke now?"

shotaro nodded happily, his eyes forming into little crescents. "yup! and i'm honestly nervous for it..."

keeho cackled. "trust me, babe, we are the best singers out of all y'all. watch us blow you away."