ch. 18 - sungchan's dream

<WARNING>
THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS IMPLIED SELF HARM, EXCESSIVE CRYING, AND JUST SUNGCHAN'S NIGHTMARE.

sungchan creaked the bathroom door open, scanning around.

his heart sunk.

crying. uncontrollable sobbing. it rang throughout the bathroom walls and ricocheted off of the tile ceiling and floor back into his ears and excruciatingly nestled in his head like a parasite.

it pained him to ask, to even mutter it,

"...taro?"

the sobbing came to a halt, and only slight sniffles remained.

"..sungc-chan?" his voice faltered. the moment it trembled, his heart sunk into his stomach.

sungchan took slow, paced steps forward towards the stall he heard the sobs come from. he rested his hand against the door, and with a beating heart as his weapon on the battlefield, he asked,

"can i come in? please?"

the metal locked was shifted to the right, and sungchan felt the door rise slightly from under his hand.

putting on a smile to not alarm him, sungchan pulled the stall door open and tiptoed in, eventually making eye contact with shotaro.

the blonde boy turned away, tears of panic starting to rise and glisten over his pink cheeks. the younger boy frowned and immediately crouched down to wipe a stray tear with his thumb.

"taro.." he let his arms snake around the said boy's torso and pulled him closer to let his own hoodie collect shotaro's spilling tears.

"i-i'm so s-sorry, sungchan." he hiccuped, shivers having a marathon throughout his body.

silently, sungchan shifted his focus to the other boy's arm. fresh lacerations, some staining his skin with crimson blood.

his eyes widened, and he let go to gaze at shotaro, bewildered.

"osaki shotaro. what did you do?" sungchan gripped his best friend's hands tightly, trying to keep his composure. did someone hurt him? did he get injured?

the gears slowly turned in sungchan's head once he started to realize.

"i..." shotaro coughed out a strained laugh. "i know anton told me not to, but i really didn't...listen..."

sungchan couldn't keep the act going any longer. his whole face went pale.

his worst nightmare had come true. anton had mentioned once that shotaro was suffering from some sort of mental issue, but he never thought he was doing this to himself.

sungchan surveyed shotaro, from his fake, happy, brown orbs to his arms that were patterned with gashes. he felt tears prickle at the sides of his eyes.