26

Charlotte's POV

Sneaking out on Steve was on the hardest things Lottie's ever done but she needs this fresh start for herself after everything that's happened recently.

Carrying her suitcases as quietly as possible through the apartment, her heartbreaks once inside the elevator.
Happy greets her in the parking garage and helps with the bags.

"Sorry for the late call" Lottie tries to fake a smile but doesn't succeed.
"Come here" Happy says pulling her into a hug before asking "Are you sure about this?"
"I need to get away for a while and Steve won't leave New York, so what other option do I have" tears begin to build behind her eyes but she refuses to let them fall.

"Okay let's get you to the airport" he kisses her forehead before helping her into the car.
She knows she needs to text Steve but wants to wait until she's secured on the plane, she can't risk him tracking her down because she won't be strong enough to walk away a second time.

Climbing aboard her private plane she settles down on the comfy leather seat, her heart feels heavy.

I'm sorry.

The only two words she can manage to say to Steve because she knows no matter what she says he's gonna be pissed off and mad at her.
He has every right to be but right now she only has enough mental strength to focus on herself and needing to be far away from the states.

When she was with in London she felt like she could breathe for the first time in a while, sure she's known a little over here but it's nothing compared to New York.
The excitement she felt about building a new empire over here was like light at the end of the tunnel after so much darkness.
Her heart aches that she can't share this with Steve, she wasn't sure when he started creeping his way into her heart.

Nope no time for feeling that way, time to try and push those pesky feelings away.
She's Charlotte Stark she doesn't need anyone.
Technically Charlotte Rogers! The little voice in her head is so kind to remind her.

Closing her eyes she drifts off to sleep as her plane cruises away from her husband and to her new adventure.

Life in London is super busy but that's exactly what her mind needs to distract Lottie of what she left behind.
God she misses Wanda and hates to admit it even Steve.
She has tried so hard to push him out of her mind but can't help herself. There are times when she succeeds at something or something simple reminds her of him that she finds herself staring at his number on her phone.

Nights when she's alone and drunk are the most dangerous as she has ended up drunk texting him a couple of time but never receives a response from him.
Thank god the texts were mostly sensible ones like how are you or thinking of you, not I've made myself come more times than I can count thinking of you.
Thank god her vibrator is rechargeable otherwise she would be going through batteries like no tomorrow.

Often she sits up and wonders what he's doing or if he has re-hired Peggy back now that she's out of the picture.
Lottie had sent Peter to work with Steve but hasn't had the guts to call him to see if Steve kept him on or fired him, obviously she said his job would've been safe at her company if he had fired him.
Part of her prays he kept him on as he's good at his job and it means Peggy isn't back or some other bimbo who would love the chance to fuck her husband.

How many woman has he slept with since she's been gone?

Just the thought of another man touching her the way Steve used to makes her want to throw up and the thought of another woman touching Steve makes her want to murder.
Pretty sure she could hire good lawyers to get her off the charges, actually she's watched enough murder documentaries to not get caught in the first place.

She couldn't face him at first and kept her phone mostly off for the first few days after leaving when she saw his missed call from when she was flying.
But when she turned it back on and realised that he gave up after only a couple, her heart sunk at how quickly he had given up on her. Admittedly she was never brave enough to call him, as hearing his voice or even just the rejection would hurt.

When did she become one of those girls who lose their minds over a guy?
She has never been like this with any other guy, and she hated Steve for so long.
They were forced into this marriage by their parents, neither of them wanted it but somewhere along the line this got tangled and confusing.
It dawns on her that they have spent more of their married life apart than together and that causes a pain in her heart.

The club is coming along nicely and she loves having artistic freedom on designing the space.
It's sexy, sensual and expensive looking without seeming like it's dirty and seedy like what people might picture when they think sex club.
Nope this design is perfect and members are going to love what they offer.

Loki and Thor flew out to help pick staff for the upstairs rooms, vetting each one and ensuring they signed the iron clad NDA.

Lottie was very picky when it came to the dancers, they needed the people with the right image and she couldn't be happier with her choices.
Having them trained in dancing made it easier to help teach them, learning some routines and the different props.

Looking at her phone on evening as she gets in after a long day the the club, her phone pings with a message from Wanda.

Can't believe you've been gone a month I miss you. I am definitely coming to visit soon 💕

God she's misses having Wanda close to talk to, it's been hard with the time difference and both of them being busy.

Miss you so much, please come visit soon. You are going to love the club and the men over here 😉

She laughs to herself as she replies, Wanda would definitely love the British accent on a guy.

Thinking of guys she can't help herself as she brings up Steve's social media.
A picture of their wedding is one of the first picture she notices on his account it was uploaded not too long ago.
It's one of them as they reached the end of the aisle after being announced husband and wife, Steve is looking down at her with what looks like love in his eyes and she's looking back up at him with a mirroring look.
How the fuck hadn't she noticed that before?

Loading up the wedding photos she looks through them having never really paid them attention.
Holy shit.
Despite it being arranged and the disaster of her running off because of Steve's words and being kidnapped, before all that the pictures show a couple looking very much in love.
She thinks back to that day and truly thinks.

Fuck she wasn't faking it!
It was real what she was feeling that's why Steve's comments upset her so much.

Like a lightbulb has suddenly gone off in her head, she races to pack a suitcase.
Ordering a Uber she dashes out the door of her rented home with one mission on her mind.

On the way to the airport she looks up the first flight available back to the US not caring if she has to fly economy to get back since she knows her jet isn't available right now.

Just as she is about to book the flight with new hope that she can fix things with Steve, there's a loud bang.

Everything goes black.