Prologue

Unknown Island, Grand Line (Paradise)

"Little one, do not mourn me. Wipe away those tears. My time may near, but yours has just begun," whispered the woman lying on the cot. Her hair hung like a haggard black mane, and once tanned skin now shone sallow and unhealthy. Her breathing wore ragged, and the hand that lifted to stroke the crying child hovering over her was frail and bony.

"Live free and proud. I have already made arrangements, my precious son. An old friend will take you away to a better place. I am sorry I could not provide for you properly. Remember, your father may not be able to be there for you in person, but he will always be there on the sidelines. Be strong and true to yourself, Sol D. Silvers Kitsune. You will always be my little fox kit..." The light fled from the woman's topaz eyes. The child beside her cried out denials of her death.

In the doorway, an old vice-admiral bowed his head in respect for the woman that has led a proud and loving life to the end. Slowly he walked to the eight-year-old and gathered the sobbing child in his arms.

"Come, now, lad. Your mother wouldn't want you to bury yourself in your sorrow. I have a grandson whom you might like. He about three, and I'm sure you might enjoy having a little brother," murmured the marine, but the child's sobs have already gave away to the exhaustion of sleep.