Chapter IX: Enter Red Hair! P1 - Yay! A Visit from an Old Friend

Some months after arriving in the New World

Moby Dick

Kitsune

Something was up. The crew seemed a bit more tense than usual. Even Luffy could read the atmosphere. Said straw hatted boy went over to one of the commanders – Jozu – and asked him what was going on. Considering said commander had hefted a case of cargo larger than himself, Ace pulled Luffy back before something could go wrong – like if Luffy slipped and tripped against the commander just as he lifted the box up. Kit was glad he was standing just behind Luffy when the rubber-brained boy began to fall over nothing and steadied him.

"The crew is readying the ship for the arrival of a rival emperor. Red Hair asked for a meeting. Remember that crazy pirate that requested an audience with Pops a few weeks ago?"

"Oh. That guy was funny. He got all angry and red, and Pops called him a brat," giggled Luffy.

Kit rolled his eyes at his brother's take on the comical scene of some rookie parading about like he was something big in the face of Pops. Kit chuckled a bit when he remembered Pops tearing the guy's letter apart and replying that the "red-haired brat" should come himself if he wants to discussing anything important. The crew had the boys staying in their room as a precaution since they didn't want just anyone to know that Whitebeard had four brats on board. Kit only overheard part of the conversation with his fox hearing. None of the boys knew the name Red Hair, although Luffy actually looked a bit thoughtful upon hearing the name. Kid still couldn't remember where he heard it.

"So who is Red Hair?" Turning backward, Kit saw Sabo had joined the conversation.

"Red Hair, as in 'Red-Haired' Shanks, captain of the Red Hair Pirates," answered Thatch. He had noticed Jozu talking to the boys and strolled over to see what had perked the boys' curiosity.

"Shanks?!" cried Luffy. The boy practically had stars in his eyes at the mention of the captain who came to Foosha Village those years ago.

"Hmm, Shanks. I remember him. Guy called me a dog with an overblown hairdo," commented Kit. He smirked as usual, but his silvery blue eyes gleamed with something other than harmless intent.

"You guys know Red Hair?" exclaimed Thatch. Kit shrugged his shoulders.

"Luffy and I met him a couple years ago. Ace and Sabo don't know him personally since Grandfather took us to Dadan's Country some time afterwards. Luffy talks about him a lot, though. The Red Hair Pirates more or less made our hometown of Foosha their base for a year before they left for the Grand Line," explained Kit. "I like the guy's attitude, reminds me of how Luffy can be; I respect him for saving Luffy, but Luffy really liked the guy, practically worships him. He's Luffy childhood idol. He's the reason that Luffy's dream is to be the pirate king one day."

"Mmm, Shanks gave me his straw hat. I made a promise," declared Luffy, his voice rising, "a promise to take good care of his hat and to one day return it when I'm a great pirate like him!" Luffy practically shouted the last part. Ace and Sabo nodded their heads, they already knew the story of how Luffy got his treasured hat. Jozu had finished loading some of the cargo and gave a small smile at his little brother's heartfelt words. Thatch chuckled, thinking that Luffy had a big promise to keep.

"Well, isn't that something little brother? Then you might enjoy the visit a whole lot more than our resident fire turkey."

"Oh?"

"Uh huh. You'll see why. Whenever we meet up with Red Hair, the idiot keeps asking Marco the same question every time. It's a bit of a tired gag between the two of them."