Chapter XX: Aftermath

Marco

The first commander had just settled Luffy into a medical cot when the two boys rushed into the infirmary. The few nurses in the room gave their newest guest a disapproving look.

"WHERE'S LUFFY? WHAT HAPPENED TO KIT? DID SOMEONE REALLY ATTACK THATCH AND OUR TWO BROTHERS? WHEN I FIND THAT SON OF-" Sabo slapped a hand over his foul-mouthed brother.

"Sorry commander. Ace and I are just really worried with what rumors are floating around the ship. We were getting worried when Kit didn't arrive with Luffy after an hour. Then we heard all that ruckus on deck. If you don't mind, can you please explain what happened?" asked Sabo. The blonde always did have better manners than Ace even when as equally worried as his older brother. Luffy stirred in the cot next to the commander. Giving the boy one last concern look, he faced the other two.

"According to what evidence we've gathered, someone severely hurt Thatch and Kit - yoi. The doctors and nurses have not yet report the damage as of yet since most of them are prepping the back rooms for surgery. Thatch suffered a severe stab wound in the back. Kit fared better as the assailant only managed to shoot him in a noncritical area and throw him. The nurses here are about to check on Luffy since he may have been hurt."

"Right, so the three of you can stand outside in the lobby while we do that," coldly commanded Mara from the doorway. "I will give you three until the count of five. One, tw-" Marco got up, his hands held in surrender, before strolling out the door with the boys dragged behind him.

Fifteen minutes passed. Ace would not stop glaring at Marco. The phoenix couldn't exactly blame the boy for being almost as hostile as when he first arrived on the Moby Dick. Heck, he probably have a pretty scary expression if he was not the first division commander and unspoken first mate of Pops. The door to the examining room open. Standing in the doorway was Mara and Luffy.

"The boy's fine. I gave him some medicine in case he caught a chill from the rain. I have some sleeping pills if the boy has trouble with nightmares, but Luffy escaped from the encounter without a scratch. Kit probably distracted their attacker, so Luffy would have a chance to escape."

"That's good. Pops asked me to take Luffy to his room tonight if he well enough - yoi. How about Kit and Thatch?"

"Good idea. As for other Mythical Zoan, the bullet did not pass cleanly from his shoulder. We've found several seastone shards in the entry and exit points. They're small but detrimental to his innate healing powers." Marco started at this. "Calm down. The boy is an unusual case. The shards are small but any amount of seastone should completely shut down his powers. Kit's body actually tried to burn away the fragments or heal around them. Wipe off that worried expression, Commander, we extracted the shards just fine. The child's regenerative skills are operating to full capacity. We're lucky that his fall only cracked two of his ribs. Give him a few days, the boy will be back on his feet. However, the biggest issue is when he will wake up."

"What?" Ace and Sabo both jumped out their chairs.

"Kit had gone into a coma-like state. We believe it has to do with him using his devil fruit powers even with seastone embedded in his wound. The pain of it drove his consciousness deep into his own mind. He'll probably wake up soon, whenever his body recovers. Thatch, on the other hand, may not fare as well. His condition is critical. The stab wound narrowly missed his heart but probably caused one of three broken ribs to puncture a lung. The ship's doctors have him in surgery right now. He also sustained trauma to the head, at the very least a concussion. Now, I must ask for the four of you to leave. We need to clear away all interruptions and distractions. I have allowed you three to stay past visiting hours since Luffy needed only a check-up, but he is well. And tell those outside to quit loitering by the infirmary doors. I will report Thatch's condition after surgery to Pops directly and no one else. Everyone else will know in the morning. Go, scat!" Mara's eyes became laser-like. Ace and Sabo cringed under her gaze. Even Marco flinched. He grabbed Luffy into one of his arms and pushed the two boys out with the other.