Chapter VII: Before the New World P.3 - Fishman Island

Sabaody Archipelago

The Moby Dick

The Night After

KASL

Izo escorted the KASL brothers to the Moby Dick since their original companions decided to drink a bit too deeply into the whiskey and sake. He waved farewell before leaving. "Marco very well can't drag all those drunken idiots from Shakki's bar by himself," he stated. The boys enjoyed the party that the crew members threw after story time, but the adventures on Sabaody wore them out.

Alone in their cabin, the boys readied for bed. After a minute or two, Ace and Sabo suddenly recalled the disturbing scene from earlier that day.

"Luffy, Kit, got a minute?" asked Ace.

When given the choice to get a new bed, the boys decided to let Ace and Sabo take the new bed while Kit usually curled himself at the end of the old bed, the blankets burying him until only his eyes shone. Kit poked his head out from his blankets with his head crooked to the side. Luffy mumbled yes through his PJs which he had just pulled over his head.

"So, why did you two act so weird with that Teach guy?"

The curious expression on Kit's face darkened. Luffy looked confused. The two brothers fidgeted for a minute before replying.

"I don't know. That guy, he just felt-"

"Wrong?"

"Yeah, wrong. I got a bad feeling about him. He kind of reminded me of Bluejam," whispered Luffy with an edge of fear creeping into this voice. Kit had crawled out of his blankets entirely and did not look in much better control as wisps of fire flared around head.

"That guy...he riled my instincts. To me, it felt like that monster bear from Dawn Island. He gave off that same ominous feel. No, the monster bear made me feel threatened but that fear felt more natural. Teach...he made my fur stand on end. I felt like fighting was not an option but an inevitability," hissed Kit. His voice began normal but gradually lowered and harshen with each syllable. The last sentence was barely a whisper but seemed to echo in the cabin.

"Alright. So something's off with Teach," stated Sabo. Ace spared Sabo an incredulous glance before the top hatter continued. "I know the guy's crew. That means family and Whitebeard Pirates believe in their family. But, we cannot deny that Luffy has an instinct for people's intentions, and Kit's a lot wiser than he lets on. For now, let's just keep an eye on him. Agree?" The three brothers nodded.

Shakki's Rip-off Bar

Marco

Marco groaned. He had to recruit Izo and a few of his division members to help clear out their more inebriated brothers. All he had left was a very comatose Thatch. Leaning against the bar, the first commander took a quick swig of sake. As a phoenix, the alcohol never really lasted that long to have any effects beyond the initial burn. It did relax him a bit, though.

"Interesting night, Marco?" The first division commander didn't bother to look up at the silver-haired man that took a seat next to him. Typical Rayleigh, to smile at his predicament.

"Hah. Well, what did you think about the boys' stories tonight?"

"Not sure if I believe half the stuff they say - yoi. Didn't know the East Blue had giant monster-filled forests. I can't believe their grandfather abandoned children in that place, much less left them in the care of bandits - yoi! The stories about those pirates that they've met in the Grey Terminal makes my blood boil. I also really hope that the Shanks which Luffy practically idolizes isn't Red Hair, but the hat says otherwise - yoi," said the phoenix, his sleepy eyes lighting with anger. "Can't stand the guy, but at least he treated Kit and Luffy well. Those kids have been through a lot. Whoever their grandfather is better stay out of my path - yoi. What kind of guy let's his grandkids fight monkeys and alligators and tigers?"