Chapter VIII: Starry Night

Behold the Flaming Turkey – Thatch's Great Prank

The Moby Dick

Marco knew something was up. Thatch had hold up with the boys for hours that morning after breakfast. He would have tried overhearing their plans with Observation haki, but every time he tried he would suddenly hear someone raucously singing in his head. That damn fox could be the ultimate prankster on board if he could cloud haki users' senses like that. 'La ti DOOO! La di DAAHHH!...' Shut up! I'm not trying to listen in already! 'Shahehehe, I know that. Just don't call me a "damn fox" where I can "hear" it. You sound as clear as day, you know?'

Maybe he can bribe a cook to experiment with fox meat tonight.

Ahhh, poor, poor Marco. This is going to be epic, shahehehe.

Dinnner time

The Galley

"Ah, Marco, I don't think glaring at dinner will make it vanish anytime soon," chuckled Vista.

"..."

Thatch had decided that tonight the crew will have turkey for dinner and a flambéed pineapple pie for dessert. Everyone knew what inspired tonight's dinner. It was safe to say that the phoenix was not too please at the moment.

"Hiya Marco!"

And there came in the four co-conspirators. Sabo tried to keep a straight face, Kit just had his trademark smirk, and the other two didn't even try to hide their too wide grins or poorly covered chuckles.

"So what exactly has you four so happy - yoi?" Marco asked, his usually bland face a bit scarier than usual. He definitely knew the boys would have a hand in whatever prank the fourth division commander cooked up.

"Well, let's just say that dinner just an appetizer to the main entrée," hinted the fox with a closed eye smile. "I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Thatch really wanted our first trip into the New World to be memorable. What did you think of my little concert by the way?" Marco didn't bother to rely, opting to land a blow on the fox's head.

"Oww. I guess everyone's a music critic, shahehehe. Going to eat that?" Marco had taken all precautions, and since his friend was the head chef he had switched his plate twice, once with one his division members, a second time with one of his fellow commanders just to be sure. He just raised his brow in reply before eating.

Later that night

"Shhh, Luffy. My will-o-wisp spell only works so well. Marco really should have watched me practice more. Shahehehe. A little fire show beneath my irises, some direct eye contact, and ta-dah. But I could only suggest that he sleep a bit deeper than usual tonight, not to sleep all throughout the night no matter what. It only worked so far because dinner riled his emotions, plus he expected his food and drink to be spiked. You wake him and the spell breaks," hissed Kit to his bumbling little brother. They had the pleasure of setting the room up while Thatch worked on the main part. Ace and Sabo were outside working on the final touches.

Shahehehe! Just wait until morning Marco. It'll make dinner quite symbolic.

Morning

The boys and Thatch relaxed out on the deck like they haven't a care in the world. Luffy happily sat on Pops' lap and pointed out the fish swimming by. Soon the ship would surface. Kit couldn't help his widening smirk as he thought about how perfectly timed the first commander's discovery and the official entrance to the New World will be.