Chapter XXIV: The Deal P.2 - Close Encounters

Marineford

Kitsune

Whoa. That was one word to describe the base coming into view.

After several intense (and utterly terrifying) weeks, the ship had finally arrived to the famed Marine Headquarters of Marineford. A book Kit found on Grandfather's ship stated that the navy base was considered at the center of the world. Grandfather had to make a stop at Impel Down - the intimidating prison that hosted the most rotten and despicable men and women in history – on account on some rookies that had the misfortune to not recognized Garp's marine ship. They then went through the Gates of Justice and entered the giant currents. Riding the currents was cool, visiting Impel Down – not so much. Luffy hid behind Kit when they first docked. Ace and Sabo just glared with the barest trace of fear at the imposing structure. No one had successfully escaped or invaded the prison since the dawn of the Age of Piracy. Grandfather explicitly told the boys to remain on the ship while he dropped off the prisoner. The boys decided to obey this one time.

Kit had to admit that the marines had a scary strong-looking fortress. Marine warships could be seen everywhere. Kit could practically feel his fur stand on end when his haki picked up the level of sheer power radiating from the base. They haven't even docked yet, but eventually all the boys could sense the strength of the marines stationed at Marineford.

"In the history of the navy," began Sabo as the boys looked in awe at Marine Headquarters, "no one had ever successfully taken on Navy Headquarters. To attack it would a direct assault on the World Government itself. Even the famed 'Golden Lion' Shiki couldn't defeat the combined might of the Old Geezer and the fleet admiral."

"Only someone absolutely out of his mind crazy would do that," concluded Ace.

Kit quirked his eyebrow. "I actually could imagine at least two people who would do that," stated the fox with a smile. Ace retaliated with a swift shove, nearly toppling the fox over the rails from where he sat.

"Ace, don't go drowning your brothers, now. GWAHAHAHA!" Ace couldn't stop the shiver that rippled through his body. Kit could not blame the fire-user. His bruises ached the minute he heard his grandfather's voice. Luffy squealed in surprise, and only Sabo quick reflexes prevented Luffy from taking an unexpected salt water bath.

"GWAHAHAHA! You boys might want to get down soon, anyway," bellowed Garp. His jolly smile faded, however, as the marine donned his rare 'serious' face. "Right after the ship docks, I have to say hi to Sengoku. Kit, watch your brothers. Sabo, make sure our devil fruit-users don't lose their heads. I don't want anyone to show off their powers while we're here. Devil fruit abilities are common enough here, but you boys shouldn't draw too much attention. Do not, whatever you do, tell anyone of your connection to the Whitebeard Pirates. Of everything I said, you must promise this above all else. Some characters at Marineford might strike you down just for that alone. There are three admirals currently visiting in the next few days. Try not to get underfoot of them. I'll have Bogard here keep an eye on you four, just in case."

The man in question walked over with his seemingly perpetual scowl in place as he regard his new charges. The marine officer probably had not forgotten the trick the boys played on him during their rare breaks from training.

"One other thing. Fleet Admiral Sengoku is aware in part that my grandchildren have a rather sketchy background, if you exclude Sabo here. So, Bogard keep them away from Sengoku if you can. No telling how the man might react. That guy is a lot smarter than I and will no doubt induce that any children traveling with you are mine. I should be done sometime after lunch. Stop by the base and give the boys a tour, and I'll try to meet up with the five of you."