Chapter XXIII: The Deal P.1 - Out to Sea

Red Line

The Moby Dick

KASL

The day the boys have been dreading has arrived. Today was October 31st, Kit's 15th birthday. Garp called Pops about two weeks ago. I'm coming sometime around noon on Kitsune's birthday. Naturally, the KASL brothers were utterly freaking out. Their Grandpa went easy on them during his last visit last year. The thought of being stuck on a marine ship with him sent cold chills through the brothers.

The boys had scarfed down their breakfast with a bit more desperation than usual. The entire crew was gloomy. Their brats would be gone for half a year, and that crazy marine would be the one taking care of them. Thatch did his best to cheer the brats, but his jokes kept falling flat. Even Luffy couldn't crack a smile with the feeling of dread sending his instincts into overdrive.

A couple of hours before noon, Pops called the boys into his room.

"As you boys know, Garp will be coming in a couple of hours. I know you four can take care of yourselves, but just to be sure, I will give Kit and Ace each a snail phone with our frequency recorded. Do not let Garp know you boys are communicating with us. I want you four to keep us updated every once in a while, or to inform us of any mishaps. Kit, take good care of your younger brothers and try to keep Ace from hitting on Luffy too much." Kit and Ace gratefully took the snail phones from Whitebeard.

"Thanks, old man."

"Thank you very much, Pops."

"Gurarara! I'm sure you boys will cause those marines quite a bit of trouble."

"Marine ship sighted! It's Garp!" shouted the watchmen from the crow's nest.

The brothers could feel their hearts pounding in fear. Six months. For six months they will have to fend off their Grandpa's 'fists of love' while trapped on a ship most of time. They stood together by Pops' chair, awaiting the man who would take them from their home and most likely continue his version of 'training'.

Garp came aboard, and the entire crew just watched in silence. Whitebeard sat in his chair as the old Vice-Admiral walked up to him and the four boys standing next him with expressions ranging from scowling to blank. Sabo had his pipe out and at his side, Ace stood with his arms crossed, Luffy kind of hid a bit behind his brothers (not of his own choice), and Kit just nonchalantly leaned against the chair with an easy smile contradicted by his wary eyes.

"Remember the deal, Garp."

"BWAHAHAHA! Shouldn't it be me reminding you of the terms of our deal, pirate? Boys, come on. I'm due back to headquarters just after this small errand."

"Headquarters?" Kit's face paled a bit. Ace's hands fisted.

"That's right. I thought it might be good of you boys to see my work place after all this time. Bah, don't give that look Phoenix," said Garp. Marco had involuntarily taken a step forward when Garp mentioned "headquarters".

"You can't be serious, Garp. Marine Headquarters is not a place to take the boys, especially boys associated with pirates!"

"Don't put your feathers in a twist, brat. The boys are safe enough with me. Besides, these past couple of years must have taught them something about self-defense. Unless you doubt your crew's ability to train four young boys?"

Before Marco could react to that backhanded insult, Whitebeard stood up from his chair. "Enough! Garp, I gave you six months with the boys. Return to here at the Red Line by Luffy's birthday. I expect to see the boys in the same condition as they left. If anything were to happen to them under your care..." Whitebeard punctuated his unspoken threat with a sudden thump of his bisento against the deck, causing the entire ship to shake briefly. "Do I make myself clear?" Garp just laughed and waved off the threat with a cheery "I'm not that stupid to let my grandsons get themselves killed."