Chapter XIV: A Cry

Moby Dick

KASL

"Enemy ships!"

The boys stood nervously around Whitebeard. There has been skirmishes on and off for the past couple of months, and the boys managed to hold their own while the commanders fought off the enemy. But this enemy was different. Those others were weak, rookies not worth the upper divisions' time, small time crews with a lot of luck and boasts. These pirates presented more of a problem. There was three ships heading towards them. According to the twelfth division, a prominent alliance of three moderate pirate crews had challenged the old man. One of the rival captains had a devil fruit power. They had already made a mess of one of Whitebeard's islands, burning down the villages on it. The villagers escaped, but the old man could not let this stand. The crews would not be shown mercy.

Beside Kit, Ace had unconsciously tightened his grip on his pipe when the ships came into view. Sabo's face showed blank. Luffy was eerily quiet. Their family would probably lose people today. The old man had argued with Marco on what to do with the boys. The first division commander had insisted that the youngest brothers stay put in their cabin during the worst of the battle. Whitebeard said that they needed to learn one of these days and better now than if one of the other emperors such as Kaido confronted the crew. The boys had trained for months. They held their own well when fighting the inhabitants of Rocke Island. Marco and the captain finally compromised: the boys will be allowed to fight on the condition that one of the commanders would keep a close watch on them. So the KASL brothers had to stick close to Namur during the battle. The Moby Dick came into the range of the enemy. Cannons fired. The battle had begun.

Sabo

Cries. Screams. The clang of metal. The sharp tang of gunpowder in the air. Sabo barely intercepted a sword slicing toward his head. Kit came in from behind his opponent, steel knives flashing. Blood spilled. The wily fox held a grim countenance as he hamstrung another enemy combatant. He had donned his black hybrid form for agility and reactive skills. Behind Sabo, Ace executed a quick flick and twist that Vista once demonstrated to the boys, disarming another swordsman and allowing one of their pirate brothers to cut him down. Blood streaked Ace's face and hair. The battle had gone on for about twenty minutes. It felt like hours.

Clang!

Another swordsman darted for the four brothers, thinking them easy prey. Sabo's arms ached from the repeated blocks and swings of the pipe. A streak of colorful fire flared in the enemy's face, stunning him long enough for Luffy to knock him unconscious with a Gum-Gum pistol. In the air above, a blue phoenix shrieked defiance as it swooped in to aid struggling members. Pops had dealt with one captain already but the other captains refused to retreat. They only rallied the fallen captain's troops into a total frenzy. Not five feet from the four, a cannon ball smashed into the deck, taking out another two pirates from play. From afar, they could hear the jibes of the fourth commanders as he confronted the first mate of one of the enemy crews.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Sabo could barely block the sword that flashed toward his head. The swordsman seemed to...split into two?

Kitsune

Damn it all! All around, Whitebeard pirates flailed for a moment, trying to reorient themselves. The fox managed to hold off the insistent buzzing only by the grace that he constantly blocked off the buzzing of hundreds of voices on a daily basis. Even then, his movement slowed enough for his current opponent to nick his dagger into Kit's side. The fox gave only a hiss of pain before quickening his pace even faster, dancing around the blonde bladesman until one of his knives scored a hit along the lower abdomen. The man fell, blood loss from a dozen shallow and deep cuts finally hitting him. Kit took a deep breath. He grappled every bit of energy he had to transform rapidly from black man-fox, to human, to his final form. Royal blue fire and pale lavender flames twisted around his body.