Chapter XXII: Return to Fishman Island

The Moby Dick

Ace

For the last couple of weeks, the phoenix and fox has been taking turns training Ace on controlling his flames – and incidentally his temper. Apparently his emotions had a lot to do with his control over his devil fruit, as Kit discovered when one of his pranks on the freckle-faced boy involving whip cream, berries, and a narcoleptic fit resulted in a lot of ash spilling all over the deck after his victim woke up. So Ace had to keep a lid on his anger. Once he managed to separate his fire controls from his emotions to the extent that another prank like the previous one did not in fact result in a lot of burning (just the normal Ace chasing Kit around the deck), Marco has declared his control good enough for Ace to return to the boys' cabin.

During this interim, Thatch could not leave the clinic. He had unfortunately jarred his ribs in a previous attempt to sneak out of the clinic while the ship docked at that winter island. So, Nurse Mara announced him "too unwell to leave bed for the next two weeks or so". The fourth commander doubted this, but the cold stare of the head nurse halted any complaint. Nurse Mara also forbade any visitors to disturb her patient's rest. As a result, only Thatch of the fifteen division commanders had no idea of Ace's current status. Kit found out this little tidbit and decided to make the fourth commander's eventual release special. Kit had dragged the fire-user into their cabin for hours at a time to plan Thatch's surprise. Ace was a bit incredulous of what the fox asked of him, but after Kit nagged him for over an hour, Ace agreed.

He was regretting it now. The fox had him stretch the limits of his small control over his flames until he could manage a "doable for now" effect.

Thatch

Finally the witch had set him free. The fourth division commander hid a wince as he strolled out the door of the infirmary. The wounds has long closed, but the pain still lingered.

"Thatch? You're all right?" There was his bundle of joy of a little brother. Luffy almost hurled himself into Thatch until Sabo caught hold of the rubber rocket flinging past him and bonked his little brother on his head. "Ow! What did you do that for?"

"He just got out of the clinic!"

"So boys, where are the rest of your brothers?"

"Oh, Kit said Ace and him are a bit too busy right now. They said they'll see you in the galley at dinner, though."

"Oh." Thatch's shoulders slumped. He thought those two may have at least wanted to celebrate his release. The sudden wrapping of rubber arms around his waist snapped the fourth commander out his gloomy thoughts.

"Thatchy, I'm really glad you're okay. Kit and Ace said they some sort of cool plan, but they made me promise not to tell you, shishishi."

"Oh? And what would that be?"

"NO! I made a promise to not tell!"

"*sigh* Luffy, I think they meant not to even mention it at all. Sorry, Commander, we both made a vow. No bribe or offer will make us break-"

"Luffy, do you want some meat?"

"YOSH! ... But Kit said not to tell anyone about his surprise for dinner. Ouch!"

"Come on, Luffy. Let's get some breakfast in you before you give away the rest of their plans. Seriously, you have excellent instincts for people's intentions but you lie as well as you can see through a lie."

"Shishishi, thanks Sabo."

"Remind me to explain sarcasm to Luffy."

"Right. I think I come along to the galley. I'm kind of sick of eating only what Nurse Mara offers."