CHAPTER 7: TOM'S NEXT CASE

Tom's viewpoint:

The last week has been great, but I guess a little bit boring. I took a week and a half off from work. I had vacation time but never used it.

My mom needed some repairs done to the house, and couldn't afford to hire, well she could, but they wanted an outlandish amount, and I knew I could do it for her for free, except just for her to pay for the materials.

It took 3 days, and then I worked on her car.

You know it's crazy to look forward to having time off from your job, and then you end up getting a little bored, and missing it. That's what happened to me.

I didn't realize it, until the other night I called Judy to check in, and she was filling me in on her case with Harry. She was wound up from the day that she had and was talking a mile a minute.

I asked how the guys were, all but Booker.  She laughed.

She told me about Doug and Booker's case that they were on.  She said that she missed me, that all the guys did, even Booker.

I told her yeah sure Booker misses antagonizing me. Making me want to kill him.

I got back into town Sunday night, and today is my first day back, and I'm happy to be back.

I had told Judy to tell Adam that he could either put me in with Judy and Harry, or Doug and Booker, they could fill me in Monday morning before we head out for the day.

When I get to work, I go in, to hear a little bit of an argument.

Judy was the first voice I heard.

She said, "But Adam you are not being fair. Please Adam, this isn't fair, Please let me do it."

Adam said, "Judy I'm not trying to be unfair. But you are already on a case with Harry. You have at least another week on that case, maybe longer."

Judy said, "yes but Tom said that he could go in with us, I'll fill him in and he can take my place."

I said, "Sounds good to me, what's up guys."

They greeted me. Just by saying Hanson.  I thought maybe they might be a little happier to see me. Maybe they didn't miss me at all.

I said, "Wow I go away for a week, and that's all I get. Hanson and you don't even look at me to say it."

Doug said, "Sorry we are glad to see you, just in the middle of something."

Doug said, "Adam you're not being fair."

Judy said, "Thank you Doug."

Doug said, "I want this case. No offense Judy but she needs a strong man. I want this case."

Booker said, "I want this case. Tommy can take my place Adam."

Harry said, "What makes you think you are the best person for the job Booker."

Doug and Judy said, "Thank you Harry."

Harry said, "Don't be thanking me. I think I'm the best guy for the job. Hanson can fill in for me on this case with Judy."

Adam said, "Guys my mind is made up. You all have cases, that you can't just pull out of. Yes I was prepared to put Tom in with one of you, but not replace one of you. Tom is the perfect man for this job. He is the only one that is not on a case."

Judy said, "That's not fair."

Doug said, "Adam with all due respect, I think you need to pick someone else. If not me, then one of us who actually even knows who this girl is. You know Hanson won't know her."