CHAPTER 30: NIGHTMARE

Alyssa is in my arms, her head on my chest, and I just want to comfort her. So that she can get to sleep.  I want to run my hands through her hair, but I was afraid that might make her uncomfortable. I mean she is in my bed.

She was quiet, so I think she might be asleep.  I raised myself up enough to look down and she is asleep.  I'm glad.

She was so scared, shaking, and I don't blame her.

This guy is sick. And I want this to be over. We have got to catch this guy soon. I don't know how Alyssa is staying so strong.

This is going to be a long rest of the night. I'm not going to get much sleep.

Having her this close to me, it's making my whole body go crazy. My skin is burning, my heart is racing, and beating so loud. Not to mention the rest of my body. Her hair smells so good.

I'm glad she feels safe with me to go to sleep.

I think I went to sleep, but woke up when she was crying.  I looked and she was still asleep. But then she started moving around, and screaming no please don't.  

She's having a nightmare.

I said, "Alyssa, it's okay. You're okay."

She said, "Tommy."

I said, "it's okay, it was just a dream. You're safe."

She said, "Tommy thank God."  She cried.  I tried comfort her as best I could.

She said, "I'm sorry I woke you."

I said, "no it's fine."

She said, "it was so horrible. He was in my room. I was sleeping, and I woke up, and he had a knife to my throat."

She burst into tears.  I said, "Alyssa I'm so sorry. You're safe. I promise you I won't let him hurt you, or get to you."

She said, "Tommy he stabbed you."

She cried.  I said, "Alyssa it was just a bad dream. He's not going to hurt me."

She said, "if anything happens to you, I can't take it Tommy."

I said, "Baby it's okay. Nothing will happen to me."

I shouldn't call her baby. She isn't mine. But she's so upset, I don't think she noticed that I've done it twice. I have to watch that, because it just comes out. I'm just glad that no one has been around, it's just been her. No one can find out how I feel about her. Not while this case is going on.

I said, "Try and go back to sleep."

She said, "Thank you for letting me stay in here. I think I'd be too scared to be in my room."

I said, "you're welcome any night you're scared. You're so strong Alyssa and brave. I know how hard this has to be on you."

She went back to sleep, and I eventually went to sleep.

In the morning, I woke up and she wasn't in bed.  I got up and went and knocked on her door.  She wasn't in the bathroom, and no answer when I knocked. I said, "Alyssa."

No answer.  I'm starting to panic. There is no way he could have got to her. But what if I have messed up. I think I've made sure each time no one was following us, but still.

I went to check the living room and saw the kitchen light was on.  Thank God.

I went into the kitchen, and she was making breakfast.  I have never been happier to see anyone in my life.

I have to be more careful on this case. Nothing can happen to her.

Alyssa said, "hey Tommy what's wrong? You look upset. Oh no, did you get news about."