CHAPTER 13: GIVE ME ONE MORE CHANCE

Today has been the longest day. I've stayed away from Tom. Except the couple times that Jake had to go out, so Tom took him out.

I think Jake is warming up to Tom. He's not barking at him, although he does growl at him sometimes.

But Tom was eating a ham sandwich, and my Jakie loves ham and cheese. He was sitting by Tom, standing up on his paws, begging for food, looking at Tom.  

I had to laugh, without Tom knowing, because Tom doesn't like dogs, but Tom gave in and shared his sandwich.

Tom said, "Okay Jake. Don't look at me like that. I'll give you a bite, but you have to make a deal with me. You promise you won't tell your mommy that I gave you some of my sandwich. I'm not sure if she lets you have people food or not. Deal?"

Tom even petted his head as Jake ate.  Tom made a second sandwich and shared that with him too.

Other than that, I've not seen Tom. I think it's best to stay out of his way. I've been in the bedroom.

But I'm starting to get really hungry.

Tom knocked on the door, and said Jake was wanting in, and asked if I wanted anything to eat or drink. I said, "no thanks I have my water, and I'll get something later."

I couldn't take it any longer, so I opened up the bedroom door and went out to the living room.

I was hoping that Tom was asleep, but he was sitting on the couch.

He said, "Jake need out?"

I said, "no I was just going to make me a sandwich."

Tom said, "oh okay. I have ham and turkey, and there is cheese in the bottom drawer of the fridge. I'm sorry that I snapped at you. I didn't get much sleep. I know it's not an excuse. I'm just not used to a girl living here. And you are a guest you can get whatever food you want, but you don't have to cook for me. I just eat cereal for breakfast."

I said, "Got it."  

Tom followed me into the kitchen.

I said, "I'm not that good of a cook, but I do make good breakfasts. And um I was wondering if I could use your stove for my sandwich."

Tom said, "Sure. Or you want to just warm it up in the microwave you can."

I said, "No I will need the oven. I'm making me a grilled cheese sandwich. I don't eat meat."

He laughed.  he said, "you're kidding."

I said, "no I'm not. Is it okay?"

He said, "Sure."

I got a pan and the butter and bread and cheese.

Tom was making me nervous because he was staring at me.

He said, "If you want chips I have some of them in that cupboard over there. I'll get them."

I said, "Thanks."

Tom was staring at me.

I said, "What?"

He said, "nothing."  He got a beer and got me a Pepsi out and put it on the table.  He sat down at the table.

I got my sandwich finished and sat down. Of course Jake was there begging.

I said, "yes Jakie I'll give you a bite."

Tom said, "I um uh kind of gave him some of my ham. I hope that's okay."

I said, "yes it is. He loves people food, ham, turkey, cheese, bread. I know it's not good for him, but no one can resist. I mean Jordan and Donnie and the guys give him bites of their meat. He only gets cheese and bread from me."