CHAPTER 14: HER CHOICE

Alyssa's view:

I wish I knew what Tom wanted. I mean he made a big pitch for me to stay. I think he wants me to stay. I want to stay. Dennis made his pitch, and I don't want to hurt his feelings. He has been really sweet to me.

I said, "Dennis thank you so much for being so sweet to me. I appreciate it so much and for you to come here and promise to keep me safe."

Tom's view:

Damn she's picking him. I lost her. To Booker. I felt sick, and I feel like my heart is going to stop beating. I feel pain. I've never had a broken heart, but right now I think I'm close to knowing how it feels.

Then she said what I was afraid she wouldn't.

She said, "Dennis, I appreciate it so much, but I would rather stay here with Tommy, that is if Tom, you still want me to. I totally understand if you would rather not. I get how inconvenient it is to have a stranger staying in your house, invading your space. So, I get it, if you would rather not. It's fine, and I'm sure that you won't be in trouble with Adam or the mayor if you'd rather not do this case."

She picked me. She's picking me. Did I hear that right? I look at Booker and the look on his face, tells me I did. Yes.  it takes all I have to not smirk at him, but I feel that would not be a good thing to do with the boss here.

I said, "Alyssa, I truly want you to stay, I'm sorry for the bad start we got, but I promise I will keep you safe. I'll protect you with my life."

She smiled.  She said, "okay I'd like to just stay here. I'm already settled, and Jake and I like the bedroom, the bed is Comfie, and I'd rather not move again."

Jordan said, "okay it's your choice. Hanson, I expect you to treat her with respect at all times."

I said, "yes sir."

Jordan said, "I have to go. I love you. Call me if you need me."  She hugged him.

Adam said, "Alyssa if you change your mind, let me know."  He left.

I started to goad Booker, but I looked at Alyssa and she didn't look happy. I didn't want to make her change her mind or make her feel bad for Booker.

Booker left.

I said, "Alyssa thank you for that."

She said, "Thanks for letting me stay. I really hated the idea of moving again. Not that I have my stuff but still. I'll try and stay out of your way."

I said, "No look, I'm sorry about that. I'm sorry for how I acted. I promise it will be different. I've had a lot of stuff on my mind, and I shouldn't have taken it out on you. It's not your fault."

She touched my arm, but immediately withdrew it.

She said, "I'm sorry you are struggling or have stuff on your mind, if you ever need anyone to talk to, about it, I'm here, or not. Or if you need someone who doesn't talk back, Jakie is a really great listener."

We laughed.  I said, "I might take him up on that. I actually think he might like me. He actually wanted to play outside."

She said, "he is, did he want to get you a stick."

I said, "yeah, he brought one to me, and then the neighbor."  Damn I feel guilty. I don't know if I should tell her.

I said, "She said that he wanted to play since he brought a stick."

She said, "yeah he loves to play fetch, he has his favorite toy, but I have to spell the words so he won't hear or you'll be outside for hours with him, she spelled the word ball."

Jake looked at her, then whined.  She laughed. So did I.

I said, "Sounds good I'll play with him, if you don't mind."

She said, 'That would be up to you. I warn you it will take him a long time. Until he tires out. He loves it. As long as you don't throw it anywhere near the street. I wish you had a backyard. I worry about him."

I said, "I would keep it up by the apartment, not even in the drive or sidewalk, I could throw it towards the apartment door. Like on the step."

She said, "Okay. I think you have a playmate."  Jake was crying and over by my feet, looking at me, then her and whining.  We laughed.

She said, "ok Jakie I'll get your ball."  Then Jake went crazy jumping on me and her.  We laughed.

She got his bag, and he followed her, excited, whining panting, then he took the ball in his mouth, and ran to the door looking at me.

I asked her if she wanted to come out and she said no she was going to stay inside.

We went out.  Then about an hour later we came inside. I went to knock on her door to tell her that we are back in, and how fun that was for me. I said her name and opened the door, Jake was in the kitchen, drinking water, and then I saw her, she was crying. Full on crying. Tears.

What did I do? I thought we were okay?

I said, "Alyssa what did I do? I'm seriously so sorry for how I've acted. I know I had no right. I'm sorry if it was because I was teasing you about not eating meat. I respect you for that. You have your reasons. I'm sorry. Please give me another chance."

She said, "Tommy I'm not crying because of you."

Seeing her cry, hurts me. It makes me crazy. I want to stop her pain. Stop her tears. It breaks me to think of her hurting.