Christie Rampone after 4-2 Victory

Interview with Christie Rampone, USA Women's Soccer Captain, after the 2012 Olympic Games Match Against France

Interviewer:
Christie, congratulations on the victory against France. Can you share your thoughts on the match and the team's performance?

Rampone:
Thank you. It was a hard-fought game, and I'm incredibly proud of how the team rallied together to secure the win. France is always a tough opponent, but we showed great resilience and determination on the field today.

Interviewer:
Absolutely. One of the standout moments of the match was Alexandra Castillo's debut, a goal within 3 minutes and then an assist 10 minutes later. Can you tell us about those moments?

Rampone:
Lexi really made an impact today. Scoring a screamer of a goal and then an assist, it was incredible to witness. The entire team couldn't be happier for her.

Interviewer:
Castillo's inclusion in the squad was met with scepticism and criticism. How do you think her performance today silenced her critics?

Rampone:
Lexi faced a lot of negativity leading up to the game, but she proved them all wrong with her performance. Despite the doubts and criticisms, she showed incredible determination and talent on the field. It just goes to show that she deserves to be here just as much as the rest of us, and we're all so proud of her for proving the haters wrong.

Interviewer:
What did Castillo's goal mean for the team?

Rampone:
It was more than just a goal – it was a statement. It showed that Lexi belongs on this team and that she has what it takes to compete at this level. Her goal put us in the lead, it made winning this match possible, it lifted our spirits and gave us the confidence we needed to push forward and secure the win.

Interviewer:
The celebration after Castillo's goal was wild both on and off the pitch. Can you tell us about that?

Rampone:
Oh, the whole team went crazy when Lexi scored! We were all so proud of her and what she had accomplished. Lexi is obviously the baby of the team, and we had all seen how the comments and criticism were getting to her. So when she scored and shut them all down, it was a great moment. I actually got a bit worried for her after that goal, because when everyone jumped on her I thought she'd get hurt at the bottom of that pile. Everyone was cheering her on, and it was a true testament to her strength and resilience. But seeing the management and coaching staff react that way was definitely something I didn't expect, I think it just goes to show how much she means to our team already, even though she hasn't been here that long. 

Interviewer:
What about Castillo's celebration. What do you think that meant?

Rampone:
I think she was essentially saying, "You doubted me, but look at me now." It was her way of responding to all the haters and doubters who questioned her presence on the team. 

Interviewer:
And what's next for the US Women's Team?

Rampone:
Obviously our goal is to get that Olympic Gold. The team's performance today proved that we have the determination and strength to compete and win and so we're aiming for that Gold. For the USWNT, let's just say we have some great rising talent, our team is looking forward to winning for many more years, and with Lexi's presence, that's just been made more likely. She's the future of soccer, not just for women but potentially for men too. Her skill and dedication make her a force to be reckoned with, and I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, it's Lexi wearing the captain's armband as we win the world cup.

Interviewer:
Thank you for your time, Christie. Best of luck for the rest of the tournament.

Rampone:
Thank you. We'll give it our all.