Jill Ellis on why the roster isn't released and Castillo.

Interviewer:

Good afternoon, Coach Ellis. Thank you for joining us today.

Jill Ellis:

 Happy to be here.

Interviewer:

 Let's delve into the decision not to publicly release the roster for the upcoming Women's World Cup. Can you provide some insight into why the team has opted for this approach?

Jill Ellis:

The roster for the Women's World Cup is still being finalized, and as such, we have chosen not to release it to the public at this time. It's important for us to ensure that every decision is thoroughly considered and that we have the best possible squad for the tournament. We understand the criticism regarding transparency, but our primary focus is on preparing the team for success.

Interviewer:

 Many have criticized this decision, arguing that it's unfair to other teams who have already revealed their rosters. What would you say to those critics?

Jill Ellis:

 I understand the concerns raised by other teams and fans, but our priority is always the best interests of our team and our players. We are working diligently to finalize our roster and will release it when the time is right. Our aim is to be competitive and successful in the tournament, and we are doing everything we can to achieve that goal.

Interviewer:

 Coach Ellis, turning our attention to Alexandra Castillo, there's been considerable discussion surrounding her utilization within the USWNT. Despite her notable performance in the 2012 Olympics, she has spent most of her time with the U17 and U20 teams, only recently being included in the senior squad. Why has Castillo not been a regular fixture in the team, especially considering her potential and talent?

Jill Ellis:

It's important to recognize that player development is a multifaceted process. While Castillo has certainly shown promise, our coaching staff believed she needed additional experience and development before being fully integrated into the senior squad. We've been intentional in providing her with opportunities to grow and refine her skills through our youth programs.

Interviewer:

But critics argue that Castillo's inclusion in the senior squad has been sporadic at best. She was only a regular starter in the quarterfinals, semi-finals, and finals of the 2014 CONCACAF Women's Championship. Doesn't this selective usage suggest that she's being underutilized by the team?

Jill Ellis:

I understand the concerns raised by some fans and pundits, but I can assure you that every decision regarding player selection is made with careful consideration. Castillo has been an integral part of our team, and her contributions, both on and off the field, have been invaluable. We believe in her abilities and are committed to helping her reach her full potential.

Interviewer: 

Yet, some argue that Castillo's talents are being wasted by not fully utilizing her in key matches. Given her impact in the 2012 Olympics, why hasn't she been given more opportunities to shine on the international stage?

Jill Ellis: 

It's important to remember that soccer is a team sport, and every player's role within the team is carefully evaluated based on various factors, including tactics, opponent analysis, and the specific needs of the match. While Castillo has undoubtedly shown her potential, we must also consider the dynamics of the team and the overall strategy for success.