Ignacio Quereda on first World Cup and Castillo

Interviewer: 

Coach Quereda, Spain's women's national team is set to make its first appearance in the upcoming 2015 World Cup. How significant is this moment for Spanish women's football?

Ignacio Quereda: 

This is indeed a historic moment for Spanish women's football. Qualifying for the World Cup is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our players and staff, as well as the growth and development of the sport in Spain. It's an opportunity for us to showcase the talent and potential of our team on the global stage and to inspire future generations of female footballers in our country.

Interviewer: 

Spain has made tremendous progress in recent years, and securing a spot in the World Cup is a major achievement. What are your expectations for the team in the tournament?

Ignacio Quereda: 

Our primary goal is to compete at the highest level and to represent Spain with pride and determination. We understand that the World Cup will present formidable challenges, with strong teams from around the world, but we are prepared to face them head-on. We aim to play our best football, to demonstrate our capabilities, and to make a positive impression on the international stage.

Interviewer:

There has been considerable interest surrounding Alexandra Castillo's potential inclusion in the Spanish women's national team. Can you shed some light on Spain's interest in Castillo?

Ignacio Quereda: 

Absolutely. We've been closely following Alexandra's career, and we believe she's a remarkable talent who could significantly strengthen our team. After her standout performance at the Olympics, it's clear she possesses the skills and potential to compete at the highest level. Frankly, we feel she's being underutilized at the USWNT. It's our belief that she should have been elevated to the senior team immediately after her Olympic success.

Interviewer: 

What does Spain offer Castillo that she might not be getting elsewhere?

Ignacio Quereda: 

Spain offers Castillo the opportunity to play a central role in our team and to be a part of our ambitious vision for the future of women's football. Our rising star, Alexia Putellas, would complement Castillo's abilities perfectly, and together, they could truly change the landscape of the sport. At Spain, Castillo would receive the recognition and opportunities she deserves, and we would provide the support and resources necessary for her to thrive.

Interviewer: 

Do you believe Castillo's talents have been wasted at the USWNT?

Ignacio Quereda: 

It's regrettable to see such a talented player not given the opportunities she deserves. Castillo has proven herself time and again, yet her role within the USWNT remains uncertain. We believe she has much more to offer and that her talents are not being fully utilized. At Spain, she would have the chance to showcase her abilities on a larger stage and to make a significant impact on our team's success.

Interviewer:

Coach Quereda, there's been quite a buzz about Spain's interest in Alexandra Castillo, the rising star of the USWNT. Can you elaborate on why Spain is pursuing her and what role you envision her playing in the Spanish national team?