Chapter 9

Everything around Skyler was a proof that Brittany wasn't wrong. When Skyler's eyes jammed her drawer right there it clicked clearly that she hadn't gone into much activities lately. Her CDs lay on the ground in one neat pile and it dawned on her that it had been that way for a long time and she hadn't touched them.
         She trudged towards her bed and sat on it reaching for her drawer as a couple of things fell off. She smiled when she came across old pictures of hers as she scavenged at the pile.
"Oof" she mumbled. " It's due time I revive my locker." She said picking up the first picture which  was the one of she and Brittany sitting on the bench with her lips plastered on her cheeks. The excitement that Brittany's expression had revealed  forced a smile out of Skyler and after a while of nostalgic emotions, Skyler moved the picture to the back of others to see the next one this time it was just her in front of her car being as reserved as she could possibly be because she could recollect being persuaded by Brittany her car's color, she recognized everything and just as it was fresh in the picture so the accident never got old in her head. Vividly, she could remember driving with that car, she could as well remember tumbling with it. Like an imaginary television Skyler watched her car tumble with her in it, as her car was knocked over to the edge of the road.
"Ahhh!!" A loud scream was the only sound she heard in her head Suddenly fear gripped her and she clenched her bed. The feeling of facing death was one thing, the feeling of escaping it was another and Skyler couldn't fathom the occurrence but one thing was sure..... she survived. She was a survivor. Being alive was still a dream as she forced herself out of her mysery.
Slowly putting the picture behind the other like she did the first time, her countenance changed as she looked the third picture before her. It was a picture of Jefferson and as much as she hated to admit she was there as well, right into his arms sharing a passionate kiss. September 17th, 2022
She could vividly remember them in a pub along side his friends drinking black velvet. It was a kind of alcohol, could get tipsy if taken too much. His friends were welcoming and maybe a bit too wild than Jefferson from her observation. There were smokers in their mist but not intense ones Skyler could remember trying to pick up with the guys or maybe trying to please Jefferson which pushed her to take a little alcohol. Yes, a little was what Jefferson called it as a strategy to make her drink it and she did..... "for love" when Skyler tried to probe he told her they were just his friends and he was nothing like them that was all Skyler got from him and she didn't bother asking again so as to not irritate him or spoil the so called "relationship" weeks upon weeks time began to reveal who was real and who wasn't. Skyler could remember dodging a broken glass which was thrown at her and that was it, that was all the evidence she needed to know she was in hell so she ran for her life, she ran fast .... ran as fast as she could. Thrown out of thoughts  when her dad suddenly appeared, she sighed.
"You could've at least knocked."
"Sorry sweetheart your room was a little quiet" Roger apologized as Skyler chuckled.
" so you thought I was dead or  something?"
Roger threw his hands in the air. "Come on sky I'm a dad,  caring and protection is our thing".
"Well I'm not a child anymore" Skyler explained.
" I get to decide that" Roger raised his brows as he walked towards her bed and sat beside her.
"Just trying to clean things up" Skyler said when he asked.
"Something I haven't been able to do to my life."
"Don't say that" Roger patted her back. "Trust me no one ever reaches the point in their life where they feel cleaned up."
" it's different dad" Skyler sighed."it's like I can't even pick up my body parts"
"I understand "
Skyler looked at him." You've not had a car accident that almost took your legs dad, you don't" Skyler immediately snapped now having a tinge of rudeness in her voice.
" well you're right" Roger shrugged but I've experienced what it feels like to loose your only daughter." He replied rather calmly ignoring her choice of tone "Trust me it's the worse thing that can happen to a dad." Roger sighed. "I freaked out sky, I really did."Roger  said looking at the air.
Skyler looked at him for a while regretting why she sounded the way she sounded. He was was right when he said he faced as much hell as she did and the only difference was that her pain was more physical than emotional she could feel it in her soul and could feel it on her body. Nevertheless, she hated her situation and it made her angry that she wasn't able to run, walk or at least crawl because her leg just seemed to have issues with every position she took and It was frustrating but venting it out on innocent people was understandable but not logical regardless.
"You're right dad." She rubbed her forehead. "I'm sorry I just - Skyler tried to find explanation. "I need time I guess."
"I totally understand sweetie." He smiled squeezing her hand gently as they shared a brief silence. Skyler could feel warmth at the narrow space between their sides and it made her feel secured, been a while since she had felt that way.
"And you know you don't have to fight with mum because of me right?" Skyler suddenly said as Roger turned. Yes of course Skyler had noticed the gap between them since that day dad was clear about her safety including the mild silence that existed within them Skyler had noticed it all. Well it was enough for Skyler to have just ignored it reckoning that they always knew how to manouver their way out of misunderstandings but it went on for quite a while and Skyler knew it wasn't healthy.
"We're not" Roger lied. He knew they had issues and were still having especially about what was best for Skyler and yes he understood that Kate was a sanguine and the view at which she saw the world was understandable but to him it was totally illogical for her to make decisions for Skyler based on her perspective at that point of their only daughter's life.
"I'm not sixteen anymore dad" Skyler nodded. "I know what I see and I see what I know."
" I'm just trying to protect you Skyler " Roger explained.
"You've been telling me that for years it's something I know even if I loose my memory. "
Roger sighed." It's hard being carefree with your only child" Roger rubbed his forehead" The last time I let you go I had to face the consequences twice."
Skyler knew he was right.
" remember? " Roger threw his hands in the air mildly.You almost got abducted by a psychopath and then the car accident i can't be a careless dad. "
"And you're not" Skyler explained with her hand on his thighs. "Keeping me here will only depress me more" Skyler heaved a sigh. " my leg may heal but my mind won't. Maybe I may eventually forget what hii means because I'm always inside and don't socialize enough. "  Skyler frowned.
Roger chuckled." I'm not in the mood to laugh sky."
"But it's the truth." Skyler shrugged.
Roger exhaled. "So how do I make it up to you?"
"I'm going to Britt's."
Roger frowned." Why?
"She's my friend dad plus this house is turning me into a living depression." Skyler sighed. Besides it's just two days.
"Anything could happen in two days sky."
" I'll be fine get over yourself. " Skyler hissed at his stubbornness. She hated the way he was just too difficult which was ironic because she was as well.
"Sky i... I just - Roger stuttered short of words.
"I'll be fine dad" Skyler assured rather gently and smiled making Roger calm too. "And I promise I'll call every second."
"Fine but I'm driving you there"
"You leave me choiceless" Skyler shrugged with a beam of smile on her face.
Roger looked at her childish smile for a while and breathed heavily as a sign of surrender, his heart felt something negative and strange but he shrugged it off guessing that it was just parents instinct.
"I worry about you sometimes."

Does it catch your fancy?? Please let me know what you think 😭