chapter (20)

2 days gone.

Kate stared blankly at the window vividly remembering what it felt like as the cops walked through their door. Ron had been suprizingly silent after the big news and barely said a word to her infact they hardly got along not because Kate didn't want to but because she just sensed he was avoiding her or maybe tolerating her either ways it hurt to watch him play ghost in their current situation.
Kate was quickly thrown out thoughts when the door was shut and Ron walked into the kitchen heading towards the counter. He silently gulped down a glass of water and turned to leave but stopped when he heard his name.
"How was work?" She swallowed rubbing her palms together.
"I was at the police station." He answered quietly without turning.
"Oh." Kate's voice dropped." What did they say?"
"Nothing different from what they said before."
"Maybe it'll be different this time." Kate sighed trying to sound helpful but it seemed Ron was dead stale to her little attempt.
Brief silence.
"Are you hungry if you are-
" I'm not." Ron snapped.
"You hardly it these days"
"I'm busy" Ron simply said.
"It doesn't mean you'll do it on an empty stomach."
Ron was silent.
Kate exhaled guessing it was time to get it out of her system."you've been acting strange lately."
"How's a father supposed to act when his only daughter is no where to be found."
"You're not the only one going through this you know" Kate ran her hands through her hair. "your silence is punishing me."
Ron turned. "Maybe we wouldn't be in this situation if you hadn't encouraged Skyler to go out." He finally got it out of his system though at the back of his mind knew the conversation would have a brutal ending regardless, the cat was out meant the cat was out.
"Why do I have a feeling that you've been wanting to blame me for this."
"Yes, yes because you're the only reason Skyler nowhere to be found."
"I was only trying to help! Kate spread her arms.
"And look where your help has brought us!
They were now raising voices at each other.
"You have no right to pin Skyler's disappearance on me Ron." Kate sniffed. "Don't make this harder than it is!."
"I'm really trying my best not to resent you right now!." Ron blurted as the wind of silence flooded in and he knew he had gone over the top when Kate went calm and turned her back to Lean on the counter. The worse, her shoulders were moving spontaneously and her right hand was on her face, instantly Ron hated himself.
Ron ran a quick gaze across the kitchen looking for ways to nullify his words but they already had their effect. What was he thinking knowing he had an emotional wife.
"I- I'm sorry." He muttered as he ran his hands through his hair and walked towards her thinking of what to say and what he started with a smooth touch on her hair she slapped it off with her hands.
"You really hurt me Ron." Kate said in between sobs.
"That was stupid of me." He swallowed. "I'm really sorry." He said pulling her gently to his masculine chest. "I'm sorry."
"Never say that again." Kate sniffed.
Kate was right, he had no right to blame her but yet got caught up in so much emotions that he forgot he had left Kate alone to manage the fear of loosing their daughter but now he thought differently. Cupping her cheeks as she raised her head he kissed her forehead.
"I'm so asshole- ish?"
"Ish?" Kate chuckled.
"I made my wife cry I deserve a slap."
"Yes you do." Kate grinned as Ron kissed her forehead and brushed her lips twice and it tasted of salt due to the tears.
Holding again in his embrace he said:
"I'll find her. It's a promise.

*****
"Be honest"
Spencer's mind caught those words at the beach  as he stared plainly at the wind screen. The words made so much sense to him now Skyler was gone and those words made him ponder, ponder on the underlying meaning behind it maybe she said it because she actually wanted him to be honest... Honest  maybe she wanted him to be completely open to her, maybe she was craving for his other side, maybe she wanted him to be vulnerable ......maybe she was falling for him just like he had fell for her although he couldn't tell cause Skyler had acted cold everytime they shared something special, at least that's how he saw it. He ran his hand through his blonde hair in frustration hating the fact that he craved for something... someone and just couldn't get hold of it like he always did. It annoyed and hurt him that Skyler was nowhere to be found now that he had already fallen in love with her and just couldn't stay away but had to. Her smile, voice, hot tempered nature and their kiss became his everyday torment Skyler was different from other girls she made things hard for him, she made him desire, she made him crave which he wasn't used to and it disturbed him badly. The other Spencer would easily get anyone or anything at the beck and call of his desires and it made him realize he had work to do in himself cause the principle of nature demands that you couldn't just get what you want until you fight for it and that's what made life valuable.
Spencer was quickly thrown off thoughts before he could  loose his mind any further as Brittany got into the car.
"Are you okay?" Brittany asked after observing his countenance.
"Yh yh I just - he paused and sighed. "I'm okay.  anything yet?"
"All the workers said they've never seen her before meaning she didn't go there."
"Sure" Spencer muttered.
Technically they had been to different returants showing Skyler's picture to everyone their instinct picked and this was nearly the 8th restaurant. No sign of hope or progress.
"What if Skyler never went out that day?" Brittany asked suddenly with a crease on the forehead putting her thinking faculty to use.
"Cause Skyler is not social enough to go so far away from the house when she doesn't know her way around so much." Spencer added thinking just as Brittany was, thinking so hard then it hit him..... what if Skyler never went out?
He was silent.
"Are you okay?" Brittany touched his arm.
"What if Skyler never went out?" He looked at Brittany with slightly widened eyes as if he had finally understood a map.
Brittany looked at him trying to understand what he was getting at. "Then if she didn't go out how did she... go out? Brittany dimmed her eyes unable to understand the logic.
"These restaurants are quite far for someone with crutches." Spencer shrugged. "She didn't use mum's car and there's no way Skyler would risk using her legs to go anywhere."
"Maybe she took a cab?" Brittany shrugged.
"When mum offered her car? And with the consistency of cabs in our neighborhood I don't think Skyler took one." Spencer reckoned but after a while of putting two and two together they finally gave up as every road of questions led to a dead end of no answers.