chapter 13

The strange incident

"I won't let him" "you're so beautiful " those words still lingered in Skyler's head as her eyes hovered around the living room. She felt stupid for kissing him and at once felt bad for throwing him off last night. She avoided him throughout breakfast which tripled the guilt in her head Brittany and Camille knew they never got along regardless they could sense something off. The kiss was good, Skyler couldn't deny the chills that Jefferson gave her only that Spencer's was more true and intense but she couldn't also deny that Spencer was not the kind of person she wanted in her life. Spencer was fun, chill about life and could get any girl at the command of his desires Skyler was more of responsible, reserved and would think twice before picking a pen which didn't seem like the case when she kissed him thoughtlessly but regardless Skyler knew they shared a chemistry, a science that was understood by only them. She liked his fervour been a while since she had felt that way in someone's arms. She dropped her thoughts when her phone buzzed. It was mum.
"Hey mum" Skyler smiled when she heard her mum's voice on the other end.
"Didn't even tell me when you left to Britt's"
Skyler sighed rubbing her forehead.  " mum I'm so sorry, i just left. I wanted-
"It's fine sweet heart" Kate smiled. "Just messing with you.
"How're you doing mum? Skyler asked concerned.
"I'm good sweetie" she sighed. "I'm really happy you made the bold step of coming out."
" Britt's house is not an outside world mum" Skyler chuckled.
"but at least it's not this house" Kate shrugged.
"Yh how's dad." Skyler asked in a concerned calm tone.
"He's getting used to you being absent.  " Kate chuckled. "He's such a worry wart. He told me everything I'm still surprised you changed your mind.
"I just did" Skyler smiled.  "Tell him I love him.
"Oh please he'll get better" Kate chuckled.
There was a brief silence.
"Honey?"
"Mum?
" I'm so proud of you." Kate said under her breathe. "You're a survivor.
Skyler smiled fighting the urge to tell her how much she ached to be with her. Brittany's house was lovely but home never seized to be home.
"I love you Skyler" Kate muttered as she dropped a tear and wiped it away. "I want you to have fun so much that you forget every damn thing that ever happened to you, you deserve it." Kate nodded with surging emotions.
"Yh and definitely kiss a guy" Skyler laughed lightly, reminding Kate of her words as she turned and saw Brittany walking downstairs.
"Yh you should" Kate smiled.
"I'll be coming home anytime soon okay"
"Alright baby talk later"
" yh" Skyler muttered and the phone hung up then Brittany pounced on the couch.
"That was mum" Skyler pointed out when Brittany asked her.
  "Just two days away and you're already having calls what're you, five?
"She was just worried." Skyler shrugged.
"Anyways" Brittany waved her hands in the air slightly.  "Why did you act so off during breakfast today?
"Because I shared a really nice kiss with your brother yesterday"   Skyler thought to herself.  " i was just feeling unwell"
"Pft, you always feel unwell these days"
" yh what can I say" Skyler shrugged. " healing is a process.
" And that's exactly why we're going out" Brittany giggled.  " so we can fast forward the healing."
"Go out? " Skyler arched her brows.
" that was the agreement sky and you're going no ifs or buts."
Before Skyler could say anything she already found Spencer walking downstairs with car keys in his hands.
"Who's ready" Spencer smiled boyishly. Too overwhelmed by their persistence she didn't have the chance in her mind to reason Spencer's odd behavior of excitement given what happened between them last night.
"I'm not properly dressed, what of your mum?" Skyler fought.
"You're beautiful and my parents are not your perents Skyler."
Before Skyler could protest further she found herself out of the living room, outside and then in the front seat of Spencer's car.
"So where exactly are we going?" Skyler asked as Spencer started the ignition and drove into the road.
"You'll see" Brittany pouted.
Giving up Skyler sighed and gave in to the breeze that caressed her hair. She sure loved the view outside it made her relive the nostalgic feeling she had when she was in her dad's car, the feeling was good.
"You should always let your hair down Skyler" Spencer suddenly spoke making her turn.  "It makes you more beautiful than you think you are. He said without looking at her making her go cold and embarrassed remembering how he took off her scrunchy. Brittany just stared at the too shocked that Skyler didn't warn him or say anything rather she turned away slowly and went quiet
Skyler just sat in silence wondering what he was getting at with that statement and the fact that she kissed him last night just seemed to reduce her impetus around him which she hated so much. She hated feeling weak, she hated feeling  vulnerable around him she had done that before and it all ended in total regret. Deciding to ignore his compliment she turned away slowly and looked at the wing mirror  spotting a fine hatchback behind them she thought it looked cool and for some reason wondered who could be driving it but quickly shrugged it off as there wasn't much to think about. Still harnessing silence the car halted in front of a  carnival and Skyler dropped a puzzled look but was forced to come out of the car when Brittany and Spencer did. She closed the door and looked around realizing the people she saw were majorly familiar faces.
"What's going on here?" Skyler probed.
"Come on " Brittany hissed.  "Have you forgotten that windshield holds an annual festival for outgoing students like spens? "
Shit  Skyler thought to herself. How could she forget windshield annual unnecessary festival and how could she not know that Brittany was capable of doing anything. She really hated school functions especially the annual festival to other students it was another level of fun but to her it was just a platform that legalizes improper, obscure and immoral perversion plus the festival was always active till 11 in the night and Skyler hated late night outs.
"You know i hate school functions." Skyler sulked.
" then just seat and drink alcohol or maybe a juice box" Brittany said sarcastically. " be fun for once Skyler"  she heaved a sigh and they walked into the activity. There was loud music, hay wire teenagers, make outs and lots of noise Skyler could feed choked up already but Brittany and Spencer didn't seem bothered at all.