chapter 14

9 o'clock pm .....

Skyler had sipped and drank according to what her body could accommodate, all she did was seat at the counter watching Brittany move to the music rhythm and girls flock around Spencer which from what she saw he didn't have a problem with it while she just sat down there like this the loser third wheel. Brittany was a really good friend but Skyler had to admit she did have her weaknesses and when it came to atmospheres like this Brittany wouldn't think twice before compromising and as for Spencer she just concluded it was just a fling even if for some reason it hurt that she saw him having a good time with other girls. Skyler breathed heavily and looked at the car that was at a far not - so - far distance where they had packed it wishing she could drive back home but the phobia of  seating on the driver's seat just seemed a big deal since her accident.
"Another glass please"
A voice drew Skyler's attention to guy dressed in a flannel shirt and ripped pants leaning on the counter she couldn't deny he was cute and mysterious with those bushy eyebrows.
"Hi" he grinned as he turned to her. "I'm Teddy."
"Skyler" she said softly, shaking the hand that was let out.
"So what's a beautiful girl with a beautiful name doing here all by herself? He asked with smiling eyes.
"Well I'm not all by myself but I was bailed." Skyler pouted gesturing at Spencer and Brittany.
"How do you expect them to join you throughout on a table when they should be having fun? " Teddy nudged her. " you should too"
" i just think it's totally unfair that they would bring me here knowing fully well I can't do majority things with my leg." Skyler shrugged annoyed.
" your leg?"
"I was involved in a fatal accident" Skyler's voice dropped. " it's been a while no
"Wow you cool?"
Skyler nodded with a smile " I'm stronger than you think"
"Well it's shocking because alot of people don't survive car accidents so you must be special"  Teddy nodded gulping the glass content.
"Well I'm one of a kind" Skyler smiled quietly.
" I'm guessing you don't do alcohol."
"Soft drinks" she said quietly as he adjusted his chair close to her making Skyler a little bit uncomfortable.
"How about we get out of here?" He raised his brows.
Skyler chuckled. " trust me anywhere beyond here is not happening."
" come on just a little walk" he nudged her elbow. "Come on it's not courtesy to reject a stranger's offer"
Skyler chuckled. "It's not Courtesy's either to force a stranger."
" I'm not forcing I'm asking." He smirked exuding interest.  " come on"
"I would love to but - Skyler paused and looked at how happy Spencer and Brittany were. "Well it won't hurt i guess"
"That's more like a lady" Teddy grinned and lended a hand which she took and slowly they walked out of the counter
"So tell me about yourself sky" he turned with his usual smile.
"What do you want to know?"
"I don't know" Teddy shrugged.  "Your favorite color, food, interest"  he turned to her.  " your kind of man?  Just anything.
Skyler chuckled. "Well the only thing I can tell you is that my life is in a triangular format. House, school and my friend's house.
"Wait you don't go out?" He asked unbelievably.
"I'm not excessively spirited like my friend."
"I'm sure you haven't dated anyone as well? He chuckled.
"That's where the irony comes in" Skyler laughed.
"You have? He asked slightly surprised.
" well yh but I'm single now.... gladly" Skyler smiled.
"Geez what happened?
"Better to leave it the way it is" Skyler smiled again. " You?"
"Never had a stable relationship" he shrugged.
" you left or they left you?" Skyler muttered to his hearing and he chuckled.
" I did the leaving, I'm not much of a hopeless romantic"
"I see" she nodded looking back at the distance they had walked it was quite far but she could still sight Spencer and Brittany.
"Don't get me wrong sky it's just that I -
"Can't commit? Skyler guessed it's normal with every guy.
"Well not every but yes" he shrugged. "But that can be different with you.
" Umm uhhhhh" Skyler threw a puzzled look looking from corner to corner.
"Just kidding." He chuckled. "But if you must know you're great Skyler really.
"For someone who just met me I'll pretend you're being honest" Skyler chuckled then he turned to her and halted wearing a more serious look on his face.
"I'm serious I  like your person already."
"Thanks? Skyler creased her forehead as Teddy laughed.
"You have trust problems."
"How would you know?
"Cause you don't believe me." Teddy shrugged.
"Well that's excusable for someone who has experienced a bad guy before."
" not all guys are the same Skyler." Teddy said as she looked at Spencer as a living example and scoffed her whole body ached to leave, to go back, to sleep on the couch all day and eat dinner at last. Teddy was a great guy and all that but Skyler wanted out, good thing their conversation was cut short when he stood up to use the toilet.
"Don't go anywhere." He pointed at her as he stood up from the bench they sat on. "And if you don't see me in less than 5 minutes just know I'm dead." Teddy joked making Skyler confused at his choice of humor he turned his back and she watched him leave. For a long while She was occupied with the night breeze and the silence which became louder due to the distance she was at that muffled the background noise giving her room to observe the environment which she hadn't done earlier. Everything thing seemed usual until she spotted a guy from a distance on black hoodie standing close to a tree alone his hands were in his pocket and exuded sinister energy Skyler dimmed her eyes to have a better view of the anonymous guy trying to make something reasonable out of what she was seeing then Spencer showed up out of the blue with smoodie on both hands stealing her attention before she could quickly turn back to look, surprisingly the guy had gone like he had  never been there.
"Who's that guy?" Spencer looked at Teddy
"Some stranger who cared about my comfort." Skyler threw an angry glance at him.
"Would have kept you company but you chose to ignore me all day so - he paused "can I join you?"
Skyler didn't reply guessing her silence meant a yes he sat beside her in such away that their skin touched, Skyler's spine shivered. An awkward silence existed between the two until Spencer decided to break it.
"Dad and mum got a divorce." Spencer suddenly said making Skyler turn in surprise.
"And they're not getting back" he said calmly.
" but Brittany never told me." Skyler frowned.
"Not wearing our hearts in our sleeves is a blood thing sky." Spencer shrugged. " life seems not to make sense without him being around." Spencer sighed.  " it's difficult seeing them separated cause I'm not used to it."
Skyler exhaled not knowing what to say. That explained why she hadn't seen him since she got there and Camille never talked about it.
"She caught dad cheating on her with his secretary on the kitchen table." Spencer sighed. " it's been hard ever since and - he paused now staring at Skyler's eyes.
"And I've tried to drink it off but it just won't leave me."
" I'm sorry" skyler said softly feeling slightly guilty for treating Spencer the way she did earlier.
There was another brief silence.
"But everything just seemed to go away when I kissed you."  Spencer said gently making Skyler recoil a little after a brief stare.
"Please don't bring that up."
"I can't stop thinking about it Skyler"
"You and I both know it was a mistake" Skyler snapped as Spencer looked at her with another kind of eyes.
"That's not how I see it."
"Well it seemed you saw it that way when you let those girls hover around you."
"I didn't even touch them I swear" Spencer explained quietly.
"I don't see why you should be telling me." Skyler sighed. "I just want to leave Spencer. "
Spencer didn't say anything else he slowly took off her scrunchy and allowed her hair to fall.
"What're you doing?
"I told you you look beautiful without a ponytail"
"What-
"You know I'm not a person to take no for answer" he cut her off gently and held the bench's arm to prevent her from leaving.
"Spencer" Skyler timidly protested in a muffled tone subjected by his masculinity and  aura he could've made a move but an unusual noise interrupted the atmosphere and they turned to see utmost chaos at an aspect of the festival exactly the direction Teddy had walked to to ease himself.
"Jesus" Spencer muttered as Brittany ran towards their direction managing to find them.
"What's going on?" Skyler creased a frown.
"Someone has been murdered brutally in the males toilet." Brittany said with tension shouting in her voice.
"Shit" Spencer frowned.
"God" Skyler muttered. "Let's just leave before the cops get here."
Without a thought they were already in the car and Spencer started the ignition looking at Skyler.
"Are you okay?"
"I will be" Skyler said quietly and sighed looking back at the scene and just somehow her heart felt disturbed by what she saw. She wondered if Teddy was okay as well because he just left and never showed up again and since they hadn't exchanged numbers she couldn't reach him. With an exhale of surrender all Skyler could do was look at the chaos trying to fathom the whole situation until the car drove out of the place and joined the road.