chapter (21)

"This is crazy, doesn't make sense" Brittany sighed tiredly as Spencer shut the door then Camille popped out of the kitchen with a night coat and a coffee mug in her hand.
"Hey" Camille smiled calmly. "You're um late."
"Sorry mum" Spencer sighed. "Time got ahead of us."
"It's cool but be faster next time kay?" Camille shrugged trying to hide her inward annoyance because she understood the situation. Brittany didn't say a word as they trudged upstairs, Brittany was way ahead of him so she go to her room before Camille could say anything further."
Spencer turned when he heard his name.
"Yes mum?"
"Umm now's not the time to bring it up but I need to get it out of my system."
"The back door was half open when I got here."
"Must've been Britt." Spencer shrugged already looking tired. "I wouldn't do that."
"Whoever it is don't be careless next time. 70 percent of theft occur due to opened -
"Backdoors?" Spencer chuckled. "We know the story and you get scared easily mum Chill.
"Thieves can be really dangerous."
"I'd kill them if they touched you."
"Well you won't have to if you avoided them."
"I love you too mum" Spencer smiled.
"Goodnight" Camille raised her feet to get to her tall son's forehead and kissed him with that he headed off.
Didn't bother to take off his shirt like he always did before sleeping he crashed on the bed, muttering Skyler's name until he fell asleep.
*****
Spencer just chewed on the sandwich, his graduation was in a few days, prom was in a few days but he was dead stale and it bothered Camille alot as she watched him eat without saying a word about it.
"I have a female friend who's a cop." Camille broke the silence. "She's looking into the matter." She said trying to sound helpful given that that was the only topic Spencer had been interested in for a while.
"The cops are useless these days." Spencer said quietly and continued eating.
"Well we gotta trust them." Camille shrugged. "It's their job."
"We trusted dad." Spencer blurted and immediately regretted after a second.  "Mum I -
"It's cool." Camille sighed and turned back to the counter to hide her hurt.
"You must really like this girl."
Spencer suddenly stopped eating.
"And believe me I'm as much concerned as you are I mean she got missing in my house. What would her parents think of me?"
Spencer knew she was right, especially Ron who wasn't taking it easy on him. He had picked on him several times and now Skyler's disappearance gave him the avenue to let it out of his system.
"She's great."
"Or maybe more." Camille snapped shutting Spencer up completely. Not knowing what else to add to that statement and not wanting to add anything else he made his mind drift and his eyes landed on the backdoor which Camille had complained about last night he as well thought her perspective on theft was funny because to him he felt if anyone would want to break in they wouldn't need a backdoor or whatsoever, global crime had evolved beyond that.
"Are you going to prom?" Camille suddenly asked.
"That's a funny question for a mum."
"I mean I got to ask, cause you've been acting like prom doesn't exist."
"It's hard living merry cherry when you know someone's child got missing in your house."
"I didn't mean to sound insensitive Spens, but I've waited for that day for a long time you can't just throw it away."
"I'm not."
"Okay then" Camille threw her hands in the air and looked across the room. "I just want you to have a better high school life than I did -
"And I will mum" Spencer cut her off with a smile. "You worry too much"
"You always have your way of getting away from arguments."
"Course I do" Spencer said with a faint smile as he munched the last piece afraid he was only giving his mother empty promises. He wasn't sure if he was going to prom, he wasn't sure if he'd ever be normal and most of all he wasn't sure he'd see Skyler again and it scared him to death.
"I really -
Camille was cut short when she heard a knock on the door.
"I'll get it." Camille said dropping the towel in her hand.
"Hey." She smiled as she ushered Lauren, her friend who was a police.
"Good morning Lauren smiled at Spencer and when he saw her he grew more interested in her arrival.
"I've gathered all the data I could." Lauren started on a serious tone.
"From her parents, her room and every other person her parents knew she knew."
"So?" Spencer probed.
"None seemed to have an idea aside the fact that she was extremely introverted." Lauren folded her arms.
"And her room? Camille added. "What did you find?"
"Nothing to link to anything until - Lauren paused and sat on the dinner table.
"Until? Spencer probed.
Lauren frowned and looked at Spencer. "You know in a crime case little things reveal big things.
"What're you getting at?"  Camille dimmed her eyes a little while Spencer paid meticulous attention.
"I found a camera in her room." Lauren threw a shot gun look at both of them.
"Camera, what does that mean?" Spencer threw a puzzled look.
There was a brief silence as everyone was put on their thinking shoes.
"Someone was watching her?" Camille broke the silence and as well it the bomb.
"That's the exact meaning of what it is" Lauren shrugged. "I think we're dealing with a kidnap case here."
"but Skyler went missing in my house? Camille shrugged and joined the table.
"We don't know that for sure. We also don't know if she did.
Spencer just sat down looking blankly at the smart woman as the former words hit him. Someone was watching her ....
then hit him as he could vividly remember Skyler's strange experiences of letters and flowers.... the flowers. He could also remember Lauren saying she had found a camera in a flower verse If his assumptions were orderly placed, he hoped what he made out of it was not true cause it would be a whole new game all together....... what if the watcher was the anonymous sender and as well Skyler's....... ex??

"Her mum said it was a harmless gift" Lauren continued. "But they didn't know who it was from."
"Jesus Christ." Camille muttered. "If I'm correct it's a stalker case here."
"No shit." Lauren said as she stood up.
"Skyler complained about receiving threatening letters from someone." Spencer blurted unsure if he was supposed to reveal that but he did anyways because the matter had gone way beyond secrecy.
Lauren turned. "You didn't say a word about it when the police asked you?"
"Cause I - I Spencer ran his hands through his hair. "I thought It had nothing to do with - he paused looking at the air in confusion.
"Well that information is a good headstart for an investigation"  Lauren looked at Camille."I'm heading out now." 
Camille looked at Spencer for a while before excorting Lauren out.
"Call me if you get any useful information." Lauren said as Camille shut the door and went back to Spencer.
"Did you just say strange flowers?" Camille frowned as Spencer looked at her.
"Yh I shouldn't have taken it lightly as I did."
"I got flowers for Skyler from a delivery guy some time ago." Camille shrugged.
Spencer threw her a look. "When?"
"Can't remember but the sender was anonymous."
"Shit this guy's a real stalker." Spencer stood and hurried to Brittany's room which was fortunately unlocked leaving his halfway frightened mother in the kitchen and searched for any lilacs but his eyes found none and neither was the verse there.
If all the puzzles he gathered in his head were orderly put together then Skyler was in real trouble.