5

Mateo just called a team meeting in the conference room.

"We're flying to Brazil tomorrow afternoon with Luciano and his team for the Brazilian annual ball," he says.

The Brazilian annual ball happens every year, and thousands of people are invited. We never miss it because the Brazilians are one of our very few trusted allies.

Why do we have to go with that idiot?

"But the Brazilian ball isn't until a week and a few days," Luca states.

"Yeah, but we are going earlier this year because most of you love Brazil, and we can spend more time there," Mateo says.

He's right. We love Brazil, nobody really cares if mateo told us last minute.

"Okay," Luca says.

"That's all. You're all dismissed, but Daniel, stay here," Mateo says, and everyone except Daniel instantly starts walking out of the room.

*****

It's one of those mornings, haunted by a dreadful nightmare from last night, more like a chilling flashback to the night Carlos barged into the warehouse, intoxicated.

The sound of the cell door being flung open still echoes in my mind.

"Hello, baby," his words slurred as he struggled to maintain his balance.

"Please, don't call me that," I said, seated on the mattress where I usually slept.

Whatever he took that night must have me very strong

He stumbled to his knees, hands landing on my thighs.

Pushing his hands away, I pleaded, "Don't touch me."

"Who the hell are you to tell me what to do?" he said, his hands creeping back toward my upper thighs.

"Carlos, stop!" I cried out, fear gripping me as he neared my shorts.

But my pleas fell on deaf ears. With a feeble push, he tumbled backwards, his head connecting with the hard floor.

"You damn bitch!" he cursed, struggling to rise.

Once on his feet, he struck me with a slap.

"You'll be my wife, and I'll do as I please," he stated, delivering a brutal punch.

"You should be grateful I didn't just sell you off into human trafficking," he sneered, his slaps relentless. Blood trickled from my nose as I sobbed uncontrollably.

"I would never be grateful for your torment," I stammered.

I've been staring at the ceiling for 45 minutes since I woke up, lost in my thoughts. Someone has been knocking at my door, but I'm basically frozen in place.

The door creaks open as Lia walks in, finding me just lying there on my bed.

"Ari, snap out of it," she says, looking down at me.

This happens a lot. I have bad dreams or memories of what Carlos did to me, and I just zone out into thought.

Lia shakes me a few times before my eyes shift from the ceiling to her face.

"Fuck, i zoned out," I say, getting into a sitting position.

Lia's face is covered in worry, but she obviously has nothing to worry about.

"Why the hell are you looking at me like that?" I question.

"I have been knocking at your door for minutes, and you have been in here zoned out," she says.