Chapter Three: King of Brooklyn

"So is this Spot Conlon really dangerous?" Davey asked as they crossed the Brooklyn Bridge. Jack and Boots chuckled. To Charlie, it was also amusing. Just the mention of someone's name made someone who has never even met that person tremble with fear. How bad could this guy possibly be? As they neared the harbor, she could see the the newsies, Brooklyn newsies, drinking, swimming, and shooting pebbles out of slingshots.

"Ooooo. Slingshots. How intimidating." Charlie whispered to Jack as they neared.

"Ey you'd be surprised. And don't mess wit Brooklyn. Say something like that in there and they'll fix ya 'til ya can't walk." Jack whispered as they walked into the docks.

"Well if it ain't Jack be nimble Jack be quick." She looked up to see a boy sitting on one of the higher piers.

"I see ya moved up in tha world Spot." Jack called to him as he he leaped down. The boy, obviously Spot Conlon, spit shook with Jack.

"Ey Boots, how's it rollin'?"

Boots, a bit more relaxed now, held out a few marbles to Spot.

"Gotta couple of real good shooters here."

Spot took them and took his slingshot from his back pocket. He loaded one of the marbles into it and aimed at a bottle.

"So Jacky Boy, I've been hearin' things from my little boids. Things from Harlem, Queens." He shot the marble and it broke the bottle. "All ova. They'se chirpin' in my ear sayin' Jacky Boy's newsies playin' like they'se goin' on strike."

"We aren't playing! We are going on strike!" Davey said to him with a bit of anger. Spot turned to see Davey and went closer to him with a glare that could kill. His eyes were a crystal clear blue that could freeze someone in their tracks. They gleamed with power, superiority, and pride. "Yeah? Yeah? What is this Jacky Boy some kind of walkin' mouth?"

"Yeah it's mouth wit a brain an if you'se got half of one you'll listen ta what he's gotta say."

Spot sat down on a nearby crate. Davey, still afraid, started to explain the strike matters.

"Well, we started the strike but we can't do it alone so we've been talking to the other newsies in New York."

"Yeah. So they told me. What'd they tell you?"

"They're waiting to see what Spot Conlon's gonna do. See, you're the key. That Spot Conlon's the most famous and respected newsie in all of New York and probably everywhere else. And if Spot Conlon joins, they'll join and we'll be unstoppable. So you gotta join us cuz---well you gotta!"

Spot smirked and stood up. "You're right Jacky Boy, brains. But I've got brains too--and more than just'a half 'a one. How do I know you'se punks won't start runnin' first time some goon comes at ya wit a club. How do I know--"

Charlie wasn't intimidated. She was losing her patience. He obviously thought they were cowards and they didn't take any of it seriously. She didn't even think for a second about what she was doing.

"We wouldn't have come here if we weren't serious bout this! Since you're so 'big and bad' why would we risk a bash in the head to come ta Brooklyn to tell you'se bout somethin' that was just a game ta us?? They'se jacked up the prices in Manhatten. Soon they'se gonna jack 'em up in 'Harlem, Queens, all ova.' Including Brooklyn. And you'se not gonna do nothin' about it! Some 'king' you are!"

He smirked. He quickly took his pimp cane and swung at Charlie but she easily dodged it. She had a lot of practice in the orphanage.

"I'se impressed Jacky Boy. She's got guts."

Jack was stunned. "Huh?"

"Ya know ya can't fool me, Jacky Boy. I'se knows a girl when I'se see one. But back ta what I'se was sayin'..." He said as he gently pushed her out of his way. She pulled one of his suspenders and it snapped back onto him, smacking him hard. He smirked again. What was it with this girl? "How do I'se know if you'se got what it takes ta win?"

"That's what we'se tellin' ya Spot."

"That ain't good enough Jacky Boy. Ya gotta show me."