Chapter Four: Sneaking Out

"Can you believe that guy, Jack?!" Charlie was ranting. She never rants but she was ranting.

"Yup. I've known him since before he was King of Brooklyn." Jack said.

They made it back to the lodging house. As soon as they opened the door they were bombarded with questions. To their disappointment, Jack shook his head. They all knew what that meant. No Brooklyn, no backup. Charlie felt horrible. She should've done something more than smack the guy with his "manly" pink suspenders. That was stupid. But so are pink suspenders. She went over to Race, her best friend since she got here.

"What're we gonna do witout Brooklyn, Race?"

"Don't worry bout it kid. They'll...come around."

"Yeah right. You'se ain't a good liar Race."

"Ain't true! You'se just has this...er..special talent of uh..lie detectin'. Yeah. Lie detectin'."

"Really?"

"Ok so I ain't the best liar. But that don't mean ya can't hope a little."

"Hope just disappoints everyone in the long run."

"Awww, c'mon Charlie. Maybe if you'se started believin' in somethin' you'se would--"

"What's the point? Wishing on a stupid star don't get no one nowhere! You don't get hurt if you--"

"Ya know why you'se can't stand Spot Conlon?

"Don't change the subject!"

"I ain't."

"Yeah, why?"

"You'se just like him."

"How?"

"If ya ever get a chance ya see his view on life you'll know why."

He got up then.

What does he know? She thought.

It was getting late. All the newsies were turning in. She climbed onto her bunk. She loved sharing a bunk with Race. With her being on the top bunk, when she was mad at him, she could roll around a lot. And he couldn't do anything about it. It annoyed him so much. It was childish, but why grow up when being childish was much more fun. But she wasn't sure she was mad at him. Just confused at his remark. Then she knew exactly what she needed to do. She waited until all of the newsies were softly snoring away in their own little dreamlands. She carefully climbed down. The old bunk bed squeaked as she lowered herself to the floor. Race stirred. He rubbed his eyes and sat up.

"Where ya goin'?"

"Brooklyn."

"Why?"

"None of your beeswax. Just don't tell no one ya saw me leave."

"Ya lucky I'se ya best friend."

She hugged Race and quickly tiptoed out. Brooklyn at night. This should be interesting.