Chater Forteen: Unlocking Him

"Gabriel--stop."

"What?"

"I'se wanna know what I'm gettin' into."

"What do ya mean?"

"I'se toldja mine. Yours can't be that bad."

"It isn't. I'se just neva told no one."

"Please."

"It ain't as bad as yours but you'se not gonna like it."

"Please Gabriel."

"Why do you'se keep callin' me that?"

"Cuz it's your name."

"My name's Spot."

"I fell in love wit you, not 'Spot Conlon'. "

"I'se love you'se."

She kissed him and laid her head on his bare chest.

"I'se listenin'."

He stroked her hair and sighed. "I'se was a rich kid. But I hated it. They'se had all these big plans for me that I'se knew I'se couldn't live up to. That's not who I'se was and it wasn't who I'se wanted ta be. When I'se was twelve I'se ran away. And here I am."

"What?"

"Yeah I'se know."

"Gabriel--how could ya eva---"

"I'se get it ok. I'se had food on da table and a bed at night. Who wants ta trade that in for a dime a day an a few black eyes?"

"You had a home and a family that loves you. I'se would've given anythin' to have what you had!"

"You don't understand. All they cared bout was if I'se was gonna make 'em proud and I'se didn't ok? I'se was a horrible son and they'se was betta off witout me!"

"I'se so sorry."

He cooled down a bit. His face softened and he rubbed her back. She got up all of a sudden. He sat up confused as he watched her climb out of bed. She looked in the mirror and brushed through her hair with her fingers.

"What're ya doin'?"

"Now I'se know who you'se are, an I'se decided I love it."

She slowly took off the shirt revealing her thin, curved figure under her chemise. Spot got out of bed and went over to her.

"Are you'se this is what you want?"

"Now you're concerned that this is what I'se want?"

"Sorry."

"It's ok. I'se just want you to remember that this is a promise. I'm giving you my heart--please don't break it."

He lifted off her chemise. "I won't."