Chapter Seventeen: Trapped

Spot angrily threw a rock into the harbor. He watched it sink as he attempted to calm himself down, to no avail. So many things were happening at once. Jack got sent to the Refuge and Denton bailed on them. But worst of all, the police recognized Charlie as the girl who got away. They took her back to Jersey. Spot screamed and threw another rock that was much larger. He looked out over the gray waters. Storm clouds hung over the horizon and darkened the sky. The water seemed to go on forever. He hated it. Across that water was the best thing that ever happened to him. Across the water was the only one who knew his story, knew his name, and loved him regardless. And no one knew about it. He had to keep being King of Brooklyn and one of the strike leaders. Davey said they were breaking Jack out, but until then he was the second most important strike leader after Davey. But now he had no one to cry on. It was to be like it was before. He wasn't sure he wanted it to go back. He should've done something. He shouldn't have let her help Race. That's how she was taken. He shouldn't have let her go. He should've paid attention. If he wasn't bashed over the head with a club by the guy behind him he could've saved them both. But now he was stuck here alone. It started to rain but he didn't go inside. He didn't care at the moment.

Way to go Spotty Boy. Why didn't you listen to yourself. You wouldn't be so emotional at the moment if you never--

He stopped himself from thinking that. He wasn't anything special without her. Maybe he thought he was but he wasn't. She completed him. She was everything he needed. But, if he never met her he wouldn't have known and he would've been fine. He was torn. To love or not? To trust or not? To experience something great just to have it slip through your fingers or not? He didn't know what to think anymore.

***

Charlie slowly started to wake as the bumpy carriage ride came to an end at last. Here she was again. Nothing new except...she found something to keep fighting for. She clutched the key around her neck and sighed. A single tear fell onto the skirt she had changed into. She was forcibly dragged in by the officers and headmistress. She was thrown inside the bunkroom where all the girls were. Once they left, one got up and walked over to her.

"Speak of the devil. Ya missed us Charlie?"

"Shut up Tessie. I'se didn't miss a one of ya."

"Humph. Yet ya always come crawlin' back."

"I see it's still just the three of you."

"Yeah. Same old us." Tessie pulled a greasy strand of blonde waves behind her ear and smiled an evil grin that only the killer inside of her could reveal. "Here's how it's gonna work. Ya gives us ya food and no one gets hurt."

"What if I'se said no."

"Well for starters, this. Headmistress!!" Tessie wailed and grabbed at Spot's key around her neck pulling Charlie on top or her. Still yanking the key, Charlie clawed at her, hoping to God it wouldn't break. The headmistress quickly flew came in and forced Charlie and Tessie apart.

"What's going on in here??" The headmistress said in her pinched up hoity toity voice.

"Charlie just attacked me just cuz I'se asked what the key was for." Tessie whined. The other girls snickered.

"What key??"

"The one around her neck."

The headmistress snatched the key and examined it. "Whose house does it open?? Well?"

Charlie was infuriated. "It doesn't open a house! Or anything else! It's just a key. A friend gave it to me please give it back!!"

"No supper for you. You'll be put in the segregated room. You shall have a good lashing for this!!"

"But I didn't--"

"Silence!!!! As for this piece of trash--"

She dropped it in the whicker wastebasket in the corner. Charlie nearly cried. She was dragged down the hall and into the room all the girls hated most. The "segregated room" was a room of torture. There was a wooden beam in the middle where they would take your shirt off and tie you to it. Then you would receive your lashings and stay in that position the rest of the night, bleeding and helpless. The headmistress rapidly and forcefully undressed Charlie. Once the she unlaced the last of the string on her corset, she tied her to the post. She gave her ten lashings and left, locking the door behind her. Once she left, Charlie let it out. Her key was out of reach. The only thing she had of him was gone. The stinging pain of the lashes were nothing compared to the pain in her heart. All she wanted was to be with him. She went so far and was in too deep to give up and start over even though she was back where she started. She was going to get out again, she knew it with all of her being. The sticky blood drizzled down her back as she slouched there against the post in humiliation. She just wanted to be held by him again. She wanted to cry into his chest and kiss his face. She wanted to hold his key and remember the day he gave it to her. She wanted him. She didn't care where she was she just wanted him there with her. But it was hopeless. And she, unfortunately, didn't believe in miracles.