Chapter Nineteen: Misunderstandings

Spot tried to be happy. He really did. But winning the strike without her there to be happy with him wasn't exactly as wonderful as winning the strike should've been. Also the idea of Jacky Boy's to bring in all the working kids brought up another problem. While all the working kids and newsies were still in the street cheering, Spot felt a familiar tap on his shoulder. His spine froze at the touch of her signature tap. He reluctantly turned around. And of course there she was.

"Heya Spotty." She said in a flirtatious tone as she glided her finger along his jawline and grinned. He pulled her hand away.

"Hi Bella."

She tapped his nose with the same tap.

"What happened ta doll face?"

"That was a long long time ago. History."

"Well, history repeats itself." She had a bit of fire in her eyes. Her frustration was ablaze. She had crashed and burned for what seems like three lifetimes trying to make their relationship work. The two could never be compatible. Bella was too controlling and Spot hated being told what to do. He never really liked her, even though he dated her for a few months about a year from then. She was too demanding, and not the kind he liked. She wanted things from him he couldn't give. She talked of future plans and a family when he could hardly support himself and he couldn't even stand her. She was also a whore who liked to "experiment", sometimes with more than one fella. She finally found something she really wanted when she met him, mostly because he wouldn't let her have anything she wanted. She seemed to like a challenge, as long as she won. Being around her created rumors of his "outrageous number of affairs" that never happened. He despised her, and even though she knew it, she didn't want to walk away without what she wanted. She had given him enough "space" by working in a sewing factory, but she had enough of waiting patiently. She touched his chest and he pulled away from her, trying to get lost in the crowd. But she grabbed his suspenders holding him back. Spot really didn't want to make a scene, so he turned around.

"What?"

"Are you really gonna talk ta me that way. I'se the love of your life."

"Since when?"

"Since we met! It was love at first sight!!"

"More like 'love' at first lust. Once I'se knew you'se I'se hated you'se. We're neva gonna happen. Now leave me alone."

"Oh Spotty you'se knows that ain't true. Remember all the...good times we had together---"

"Quit callin' me Spotty, and we haven't neva--"

"Got pretty close a few times. I never understood. Spot Conlon and a girl who's willn' to put out, and Spot Conlon won't--"

"You do more than 'put out'! Most of those crazy sick things are a part of my image now only because of you!"

"Don't blame anyone but yaself for anythin'."

"Just leave me alone." He tried to walk away, but she was strong. He knew because her brother taught her how to fight, to his misfortune. Also he was unlucky enough to be standing near an alleyway. She yanked him in and started making out with him. She dug her sharp nails into his arms. She had him pinned against the wall with no escape. He screamed with her mouth on his, the cry for help muffled under her fierce attacks. He felt her poisonous lips were slowly killing him, with each kiss injecting a vile, toxic feeling of guilt and disgust. His heart wrenched around inside his chest, the pain worsening as the second grew longer. He tried to nonviolently pull away from her, but she kept him in place. Her body pressed against his so hard it hurt. Each time he tried to turn his head to break loose from her lips she yanked his hair so hard it nearly came out. His arm was still bleeding from the abrasions made by her sharp nails that sunk so deep into him. He wouldn't stop fighting, but he couldn't win. He had been being gentle so much lately, he forgot how to truly be vicious. He didn't want her to make a scene. She would if he hit her. He couldn't even think straight. His head throbbed and his arm felt numb. He couldn't hit her even if he wanted to. He kept on hearing her taunting voice whispering in between kisses, commanding him to kiss back or beg for more. She finally stopped after what seemed like an eternity. She whispered softly into his ear a tiny phrase that hit him harder in the chest than any blow he ever endured.

"I'll see you tonight."

She walked out of the alley, leaving him there dumbstruck and afraid of what she meant.

At least no one saw it. He thought.

How could he had known that Racetrack saw, but didn't hear, nearly the whole thing. His heart snapped for Charlie. This would break the kid's heart if she knew. He knew Spot was no good. He knew it. He knew this would happen. He tried to get it off his mind but he couldn't. Especially since the next day made everything harder. All the boys were getting ready to sell papes. Most of them were excited to be selling once more. Race had just finished shaving off any stubble left on his chin when he heard her voice.

"Didja miss me?!"

Charlie was standing in the doorway with a the newsies coming at her at once. She hugged them all as they asked her questions and expressed nothing but joy since their family was back together for good. Race was too, and then he remembered. Once everyone was out the door, Race stopped her.

"Ya wanna sell wit me taday? Ya haven't in a while."

"I'se would but I'se usually sell in Brooklyn now and I'se also wanna see Spot--"

"Are you'se sure that's a good idea?"

"Race what're ya talkin' bout? Course it's a good idea I'se can handle Brooklyn just fine---"

"Ya may wanna sit down for this one."

She sat down at a nearby table.

"What? Racetrack what's up? What's wrong?"

"There's absolutely no good ways ta say this but..."

"Racetrack..." She was beginning to get frustrated, having her previous desire. She started to get up before Race froze her in her tracks.

"You've been replaced! I'se was right!! But no one eva listens ta me!! There I'se said it!!"

"What?" She was speechless.

"Well I'se dunno if he thought you'se weren't comin' back or somethin' but I'se saw him making out with some slut in an alleyway--"

"You're lyin'."

"I'se ain't. I would neva lie ta you'se, 'specially not bout this."

"But you'se said--"

"I'se knows, and I'se was right, but I'se knew ya cared bout him."

She touched the key around her neck. Salty tears tumbled down her freckled cheeks.

"I'se such an idiot."

"You'se not an idiot--"

"I'se should've listened ta you'se."

Race sat by her and put an arm around her. "It'll be ok."

"I'm goin' ta Brooklyn." She got up and wiped her tears.

"Oh no, here we go again. What're gonna do?"

"Give him back his key." She said innocently.

"And?"

"Oh Racetrack. Ya thinks l'il 'ol me gonna do somethin' ta da most powerful, feared newsie in all New York?"

"As a matter of fact I'se do. But whateva ya do just leave me outta this alright?"

"Fine. I'll be back." She left, slamming the door behind her.

"Oh boy. This isn't good. This isn't good at all. This can only end in tears." Since Race missed getting his papers, he decided to follow her. He didn't want anything that shouldn't happen to happen.

The things I do for her. He thought as he made his way to Brooklyn behind her.