Chapter Twenty Five: A Rescue Mission

Spike paced back and forth across the squeaky wooden planks. Charlie spat on the floor in impatience. She finally lost it after an hour of painful silence.

"Are ya gonna tell me what I'm doin' here or continue pacing the floor like an idiot!"

The boy holding her by the ropes that bound her hands kicked her hard, but it didn't phase her much. Spike, however, calmly turned around and walked closer. "Now we don't want any of that."

"I'se didn't want this." She said holding up her bound hands. "I'se guess we both got what we'se didn't want. Wit no choice whatsoeva."

"I'se told ya you'se ain't gonna be a smart mouth. Da reason we'se haven't slit ya throat by now is dat my sista insists on her havin' all da fun."

"Yeah yeah I'se know but ya still won't tell me where I'se am, whose you are, and who da heck ya sister is not ta mention who dis lovely gentleman wit a stranglin' grip is."

"Shuddup. It won't matta afta we'se through wit you'se."

At that moment the door flew open to reveal Bella. She grinned an awful grin once she saw Charlie sitting on the floor, the ropes around her hands being held by Buck.

"Charlie, darlin'. What a pleasure ta finally meet you'se." She said in a sickly sweet tone.

"Oh my God finally just take her! I'se can't take much more of her smart mouth. She's da most annoyin' prisoner I'se eva--"

"Oh shut it ya baby. Gimme da rope will ya darlin'." Buck warned her about Charlie's feistiness and gave her the rope. "Follow me."

"Who are you'se and why?"

"I'se Bella. I'se assume you'se heard of me."

"You bitch!!!"

"C'mon!"

"No! What da hell is wrong wit you'se?? Is dat why I'se here--ya wanna kill me or somethin'??!!"

"Not yet. Dat depends on ya little beau's behavior." She said literally dragging Charlie down a hallway. Charlie grabbed at anything she could reach, even the floorboards. She broke a few nails as she was yanked from the floor and pushed down a flight of stairs. Bella took her sweet time walking down the stairs and opening a secret door on the side of the staircase. She shoved Charlie in the small confined space. The musty smell made it hard to breathe and the dust covering everything sure didn't help either. It was hot and soon beads of sweat formed on her forehead. She tried to push the door down but the space was so small she could barely have any room to do so. It was also about four inches thick. She couldn't do it anyway. She hugged her knees and cried, wishing Spot was there to hold her.

***Brooklyn***

"Spot!! Charlie!!" Race repeatedly banged on the Brooklyn warehouse door.

"Goin' somewhere shrimp?" A Brooklyn newsie put Race in a chokehold.

"Ey! I'se here bout--" Race sputtered as he gasped for air.

"Ok who letcha inta Brooklyn an--"

"What's goin' on?" Spot came to the door and his eyes widened when he saw Race. "Ey let him go ya idiot!!" The Brooklyn newsie obeyed and Race nearly collapsed.

"The things...I'se do...for her...whew..gimme a sec Spot."

Spot dismissed the other newsies and helped Race up off his knees. He was still huffing and puffing. Once he got his breath back, he spoke. "Where's Charlie?"

"Race thank God you'se here! I'se need you're help!"

"Huh? Where's Charlie? That's all I wanna know an now I'se gettin' asked all kinds of favors--"

"No it's bout Charlie."

"Oh no she's not pregnant is she?? Oh man I'se knew this would happen ya no good, skirt chasin' son-of-a---"

"She ain't--"

"I'se neva should've let her go wit you'se 'specially after all I'se do an your bad rep--"

"RACE!!! She ain't pregnant!!"

"Oh good. Why didn't ya say so?"

Spot rubbed his temples and tried to calm down. He was on the edge of knocking his teeth out. "She ain't pregnant...but someone else is."

"Huh?"

"Listen it's a long story but ya know the whole Bella thing and blah blah blah but anyway durin' dat time when she was takin' advantage of me--"

"She got herself knocked up."

"Yeah an she got her brutha an his boys ta kidnap Charlie as revenge for somethin' she did to herself."

"Come again? I'se don't think I'se heard ya correctly. They'se did what now?"

"Yeah I'se know."

"That's insane!!!"

"Whadda we do??"

"You'se askin' da wrong guy. Can't ya just go in dere an get her back? I'se mean you'se Spot Conlon. See look at my hand."

Race stuck his hand out.

"What bout it?"

"When I'se said ya name I'se got goosebumps. An ya not an enemy ta me."

"Thanks Race, but it would be me against all of his newsies...and Spot Conlon ain't dat great at fightin'. That's why I'se need you'se to become a new newsie ova dere an get her out."

"Me?" Race croaked. He couldn't believe what he's had to go through for this girl.

"Yes you'se. They'se know me an all my newsies an you're the only otha person who knows. Ya gotta."

"Me--in Queens--alone--on a rescue mission--nuh uh. No ways I'se riskin' my ass for a girl who knows how ta take care of herself and sure as hell has da smarts to escape."

"Race I'se don't think ya understand da urgency of the situation. Maybe a slight bash in the head will shed some light---"

"Alright alright. I'se goin', I'se goin'."

Race started off to Queens when Spot stopped him. "Thanks."

"Wow Spot. I'se neva thought I'd see da day."

"What? What day?"

"Da day when someone took ya some of inside out so everyone can see."

"Not everyone."

"Well I'se sure do see it. Ya notta bad guy Your Highness."