Chapter Eight: What Now

Fireworks were going off in Charlie's heart, but her head kept telling her this wasn't a good idea. She broke away, but regretted it for two seconds before going back to reality. She was hesitant about friends...but being in a relationship was worse. They don't last and you always get hurt.

She quickly got up and jumped down without a word. She just kept running. Spot didn't say a word as he watched her run out of Brooklyn and possibly out of his life. He knew better than anyone that there was always more to someone than everyone thought.

Everyone thought Charlie was a sassy, stubborn badass with trust issues. But he knew she had a story. Someone's story is usually the key to figuring out why someone is a certain way especially if they refuse to tell it. Spot never told his story to anyone for a million different reasons. Part of it was his power. Most of his power was gained over fear and respect, and his story would change that. It also showed that he did have emotions. It was hard having to contain yourself and be emotionless all the time just because you're Spot Conlon, the most feared and respected newsie of all time, King of Brooklyn, the most feared and respected borough of all time. They all expect it from him. But once in a while...maybe you want to cry or not be heartless for once. But no. He obviously wasn't very good at it.

The first girl in a long time he was actually attracted to for something more than looks and she ran away without a word. The first girl in a long time who didn't throw herself at him for his looks and power up and left. The first girl that didn't immediately try to sleep with him and she didn't even say why she was leaving. She didn't even look back.

He hopped down from his throne and looked in the direction she went. He quickly hid any emotion seeping through his iron mask and entered the Brooklyn warehouse. The ordeal of waiting until midnight when all the Brooklyn boys decided to turn in was painfully tedious. But as soon as he could hear their snores from the bunkroom he went to his room and let it out. He let some tears fall onto his pillow. He cried for the first time since he was very young. That's how he knew. He wasn't going to give up. But...what now?