Chapter Eighteen: An Unexpected Friend

Two weeks. Two weeks in hell stuck with a bitch of a murderer and her sidekicks. A number of times Charlie had gotten in trouble and lots of different punishments. And even with everything that was happening, only one thing bothered her. When she came back into the room after the first night, the basket hadn't been dumped out yet. It still had the same trash. Every bit of it. Except her key. She dug through it and dumped it out and search every inch of it, but it wasn't there. She thought she was to never find it again, until one day. Tessie and another one of the girls, Pepper, got into an argument and had to go into the segregated room. Thank God was all Charlie could think. But she was still stuck with Kate, which wasn't as bad. Kate was shorter than the others and very influential. She always seemed nervous and unsure, especially after the others left and she went over to Charlie. She sat down beside her and shuffled her feet. She played with a piece of her brown locks.

"Can I'se help you'se?" Charlie asked, a weird look on her face. Kate unexpectedly held out her hand. In the palm was Spot's key, shinier than before it was lost. Charlie almost couldn't believe it.

"Where did you--"

"I'se took it out of da basket when dey weren't lookin'. I'se cleaned it too. I woulda given it to ya sooner if I'se had the chance."

Charlie could barely get the words out. "Thank you."

"Welcome."

She took it from the outstretched hand and held it, near tears. She had what she needed. Now she was getting out. She hugged Kate quickly and started preparing.

"What're ya doin'?"

"Gettin' out. Ya comin'?"

"Uh--"

"Don't tell me you'se wanna stay here."

"I'se dunno. Is it safe?"

"Yeah. Headmistress gonna go ta bed after finishin' the lashings an the otha's aren't here ta tattletale. We'll be long gone by mornin'. Trust me."

"Ok."

Charlie intended an escape exactly like the one before. It worked perfect. The only reason she was back was because of the public attention. She just had to lay low until they gave up looking for her. She opened the window and grabbed a sheet off the bed. Kate tied it to the top and she hopped down. Charlie caught Kate as she stumbled on the sheet.

"Now what?" Kate whispered.

"We go to the train station, catch a ride ta New York, and we're off. Gone by mornin'."

"New York?"

"Yes New York. If ya need a job I'se can get ya one."

"Goodness."

In no time at all, they made it to the train station. It was still pretty early in the night, so a train to New York was easy to find. Charlie got past the conductor and went into the luggage car, Kate trailing behind her. They hid behind a large suitcase as the car was checked. Then the train's whistle sounded and smoke puffed out the top.

"Next stop, New York."

Kate grinned. She soon fell asleep on Charlie's shoulder. They weren't going to hurt her again. Charlie held her key and thought of Spot. She was going home. Her home. And she was going to stay.