Chapter Twenty One: Without Each Other

"I'se told ya once and I'll say it again! Don't speak ta me that way!!"

"Just get out!! You'se got what ya wanted now leave me alone!"

"I'se gave ya enough alone time!! Now I'se wanna make up for it."

"I ain't goin' through this again!! Neva!! You'se can't make me! I swear to you--"

"Awww, whatcha gonna do, Spotty? Ya hit me dis time or are ya just gonna be difficult--"

"Shut up. Just shut up and get out!!"

Bella pinned him against the wall, digging her nails into his wrists. Spot hardly ever got scared, but she frightened him. He could've swore he saw the devil in her eyes as she scraped her nails down his arm. She threw him to the ground, taunting him. Thin streams of blood drizzled down his wrists as he reluctantly started unbuttoning his shirt. She grinned and laughed to herself. She always enjoyed seeing fear creep into the eyes of some of the toughest newsies and other young boys who she had her way with.

"We've gotta a lot in common ya know."

"I'm nothin' like you--"

"Oh but you'se are Spotty. You'se love using others fear ta take control."

"You'se can't control me--"

"I'se did last night. And the night before that. And the night before that. And the night before that. I'se did all the nights before that. Good times. And I'se did just now."

"I'se means all of me. Ya can't control how I'se feel bout you'se. I'se will neva eva love you'se."

She turned around slowly and stared at him with her cold violet eyes before grabbing his neck. She could've killed him if she wanted to with her grip.

"I command you'se to love me!! I'm the love of your life!!! Your life is nothing without me!! Nothing can keep us apart!"

"I'se will neva love you'se! You're a sick, thirsty whore who doesn't have the slightest abilty ta love anyone!"

"Shut up!!"

"No! I'se not gonna let you'se control me anymore."

"I'se said shut up!!!!"

She kneed him in the gut and he staggered over, still weak from all of the horrible ordeals he went through every night for about a week and a half.

"If you'se don't give me what I want, exactly how use want it, I'll kill her."

"Huh?"

"Ya know. Charlie. The one to thing standing between you and me." She had a crazed look in her eyes.

"How'd ya know bout her?"

"I'se saw the entire thing. Ya know when she broke up wit you. Tragic. And I'se bribed ya little boidies ta spill the beans. They'se overheard things like her an that Racetrack boy talkin' bout ya and how much she loves you'se. It was easy really."

"You'se wouldn't dare!"

"I'se wouldn't take that risk if I'se were you'se."

"What're ya goin' ta do?"

"I'll just use the art of trickery to lure her to her doom. Nothin' special." She twirled a curly stand of her fiery red hair and circled him. "What's it gonna be?"

Spot sighed and rubbed his temples. His entire body wailed with pain and he felt so disgusted after going through the same sick, twisted routine with her. The one where she always won. But she wanted to hurt his most beloved. Even though Charlie hated him, he still loved her more than life itself. He'd do anything for her.

"Fine."

"That's what I'se like ta hear."

***Next Morning***

"Charlie. Ya gotta get up taday. If you'se don't I'se gonna have ta make ya. Ya need ta start sellin' again, you'se broke." Race said shaking Charlie's shoulder.

"Go away." Charlie said groggily as she rolled over.

"I'se didn't wanna do dis." Race said as he grabbed her feet and started to pull. As she started to fall from the bunk, Charlie grabbed the bedpost and held on. She didn't feel like getting out of bed lately. She'd lost her purpose.

"Charlie, let go!!"

"No!"

"Blink! Skittery! A little help please!!"

Kid Blink and Skittery looked at the situation and then looked at each other.

"Uh what's dat Jack!!?? Sorry buddy I'se uh gotta go. Heh Heh...good luck." Kid Blink said and ran down the stairs. "I'se comin' Jack!!!!!"

"No thanks. Ya on ya own kid." Skittery said as he quickly followed Kid Blink down the stairs.

"Really fellas!!" He growled and finally pulled one last huge tug, and she still didn't budge. "Why are you'se doin' dis ta me?? Why God why??!!" He whined as he collapsed on the floor. Charlie climbed back on top of the bed and put her face in her hands. Race sat up and saw she was upset. He climbed up and sat beside her.

"I'se been tryin' ta get you'se outta bed for almost two weeks. Ya mind tellin' me what's wrong? And how you'se got such an iron grip."

"It's nothing Race."

"Is it Spot?"

"Yeah. I'se still can't believe--"

"I'se know. We'se don't gotta revisit."

"Thanks Race but it just doesn't make any sense. I'se mean should I'se 'ave listened ta him--"

"Wait a sec ya didn't listen ta his side of da story? That's...wow that's cold."

"I'se was mad! And upset...and confused. I'se dunno."

"All I'se knows is that he's probably upset. I'se was in Brooklyn da otha day at da Sheepshead races and I'se was talkin' ta Shadow, one of da Brooklyn newsies, an he said none of 'em seen Spot for days. He hasn't come outta his room not even ta sell papes."

"What?"

"Yeah. He said some of 'em got da heebie jeebies cuz they'se heard screaming from his room. Weird huh?"

"Racetrack!! Why didn't you'se tell me?!?!?"

"Well for starters ya wouldn't even get out of bed!!!"

"Sorry." She got up and started to get dressed.

"What're ya doin'?"

"Goin' ta Brooklyn."  She started brushing her hair and teeth.

"I'se hate it when ya say dat."

"Deal wit it. Bye Race."

"Whadda ya mean 'bye Race' I'se goin' wit ya."

"Go sell papes Race. I'se goin' alone."

"Oh boy. Dis is not gonna be good."

"Just trust me."

"That's hard ta do when ya best friend's a maniac."

She playfully punched him. And walked out, not sure what she was getting into.