Chapter Thirteen: One Story Told

Two hands covered Charlie's eyes from behind as she walked down the streets of Manhatten on her way back to the lodging house. She smiled.

"Spot?"

"In person."

She turned around.

"What're you doin' here?"

"Can't a guy walk around Manhatten for no reason whatsoeva on a would-be sellin' day?"

She looked at him funny.

"I'se was lookin' for you."

She hugged him briefly and they started making their way toward Brooklyn.

"I see my key is still tucked away. Are you'se still sure bout keeping this a secret?"

"Yes, I'se very sure. I'se just don't want--"

"I knows why, but what I'se don't knows is why it mattas so much ta you'se."

"I dunno. I'se guess I thought your image and such mattered ta you'se."

"It does. But I'se still don't see how a relationship--"

"It makes you'se look like you'se actually haves a heart! And I know you do, but they don't! I'se just don't want to compromise your leadership--"

"My leadership shouldn't concern you'se. I'se knows what I'm doin'."

"It's somethin' that could be used against you'se. It's a weakness! Brooklyn gets in street wars all the time. What if someone kidnapped me or somethin'? It's happened before!--"

"I'se knows it's happened before! Hell, even Brooklyn's done it! But I'se knows that you'se ain't no little daisy that they'se can push around. Even if they'se manage, I'se knows you'se tough enough for them! Ain't no one can break you'se! Even I'd be scared ta try."

She sighed. There was only one way to win the argument, but she wasn't sure if it was worth the risk. Every time she told it, no matter who it was, they always turned against her. She would be stupid to think he was any different. But she had to tell him sooner or later.

"Spot can we go ta your special place?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"I'se gotta tell ya somethin'."

She was crying inside the entire way there. Half of her wanted to be honest and let everything out but the other half knew that only bad things happen when she does. As he helped her onto the rocks, she nearly let a few tears fall.

"Are you'se ok?"

"No."

"What's wrong?"

"You're going to think I'se horrible."

"I'se could neva think that."

"I'se not so sure."

"You'se don't gotta tell me if ya don't want to."

"I'se need to."

"Are you'se sure?"

"Yes."

"I'se listenin'."

"Ok. My parents were a couple of street rats. I'se was an accident. I'se was put in an orphanage where you always had ta watch your back cuz survivin' was difficult. The headmistress barely fed us and there was never enough for everyone. Me and a few of da older girls were mad at some of da younger ones cuz they'se always took more than their fair share--"

She broke down crying. She couldn't hold it in. Spot held her for a long time. He pulled her close and let her cry. He kissed her forehead and stroked her wet auburn locks.

"I'se don't know what I'se was thinkin'. They'se somehow convinced me an I'se knew it was wrong but I'se still did it!!"

She was still sobbing. She hung on him for dear life, afraid he would disappear if she finished.

"What happened?" He finally said.

"I...I'se killed three little kids. For food. The others killed some too. Just cuz I'se was hungry--"

"Shhhh. It's ok. It's ok..." he cooed her. He pulled her closer then. She bawled into his shirt afraid he would let go of her and never touch her again. Spot was taken aback by everything. He never would've guessed it.

"I'se was fostered twice an almost adopted both times until they found out what I'd done. One of the family's had a little girl named Lily and she loved me--but she hated me and was scared of me after!! And everytime I'se ran away they'se found me til I'se came here! And I'se promised myself I'se wouldn't tell nobody--but I'se love you'se more than anythin', please don't leave me!! I'm tired of being alone..."

Spot hugged her harder and whispered "I ain't going nowhere."

She sobbed even harder then. She didn't ever want to let go. But after a long time, when she cried every tear left in her, he broke away. He wiped the rest of them off of her face and kissed her head. They swam back into the harbor and sat on the dock to dry off.

"Charlie?"

"Yeah?"

"What's ya real name?"

"I'se was hoping you'd never ask."

"I'll tell ya mine."

"Charlotte."

"That makes sense."

"C'mon. You promised."

He ran his fingers through his hair and sighed. "Gabriel."

"I like it."

"Don't tell no one."

"I'se promise. Gabriel."

"It's a lot better when you say it."

She kissed his cheek and laced her fingers through his.

"Ya still got that shirt I'se slept in the other night?"

"Yeah."

"Good."