Chapter Nine: We Meet Again

The next morning, Spot awoke to the rising sun and scowled. He got almost no sleep last night, but he still had to go to Manhattan to meet with Davey and Jack to plan and talk about the rally. It was so early, but they did have a lot to talk about and the needed to get an early start if they wanted to be completely done with everything by lunch. Usually waking up early didn't phase Spot, but there was just something about today that made him more bitter than usual. Then he remembered. He got rejected for the first time last night and now he has to go back to the place where she lives and talk to her "brothers" about a strike he only joined because he liked her.

God, I'm an idiot. He thought to himself as he threw the sheet off of him and rolled out of bed. By the time he was dressed he was late. He ran out the door and sprinted to Manhattan. He was catching his breath as he reached the doorstep of the lodging house. Once he composed himself he entered.

"You'se late." Jack said.

"I like ta make an entrance." Spot said.

It was nearly eleven when they stopped to the sound of loud footsteps coming down the stairs. They saw Charlie as she reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Ey Charlie." Jack said.

"Ey Jack." She noticed Spot. "Ya havin' a meeting?"

"Yeah. We'se almost done. Maybe after ya wanna get somethin' ta eat wit us?"

It was suddenly very awkward. Spot knew it was and decided to make things easier.

"Ah man, Jacky Boy. I'se forgot I'se can't go ta lunch wit you'se. After this I got anotha meetin' in Brooklyn I'se gotta go ta."

"Really, what for?"

"Just a thing wit my boidies and how some of them need to start doin' things a bit differently. They'se gettin' real sloppy with their sneakin' around an I don't like it."

"Ok Spot. How bout you Charlie? Ya good ta go?"

"Yeah." She said. She knew exactly what Spot was doing. It was actually kind of sweet. And then it wasn't. And then she didn't know. It was her fault. She was a coward. Her biggest fear was heartache. And she felt bad for the first time. Who knows, maybe it's slightly worth it.

"Oh hey, um, on a different note can one of ya help me lift something--heavy."

"What do you need lifted?" Davey asked.

"Yeah I just forgot the reason I came down was to get help from one of you. I need the bunk bed lifted on one side. I need to get something that fell underneath."

"What don't you just crawl under?"

"It's too small. And I can't lift it myself." She looked at Spot and he read her face. He knew she wanted him to do it. He abruptly got up.

"I'll do it."

"Thanks Spot." She motioned for him to come upstairs. Once there, she saw the skepticism in his face.

"What's going on? With your strength ya could lift the bed with one arm."

"Look Spot I'se sorry for runnin' out on you last night."

"Why exactly didja?"

"I dunno. I'se just couldn't handle it. All I've ever known is...well not that."

"Yeah I'se see."

"But it has nothin' ta do wit you--"

"Sure. Of course not."

"You'se can't possibly be mad at me."

"Well but I'se am."

"Look, I'se sorry ok? I didn't mean ta--"

"Well ya did. And ya know Charlie when you're this heartless, emotionless tyrant its really hard sometimes cuz you have make sure no one can see you're hurt. There I'se said it out loud finally. Let's just go on and pretend we never met."

"But Spot--"

She grabbed his arm. He softened a bit.

"I'm sorry. It's really hard to realize that I'se could actually hurt someone. Especially someone like you. Like you said you got a million girls throwing themselves at you'se."

He turned around slowly. She hugged him and he returned her squeeze. Once they let go he couldn't help himself. Her kissed her. She kissed him back, wrapping her arms around his neck. He held her waist pulling her close. They both felt sparks. Suddenly they were interrupted by Jack calling up to them.

"Do you'se need help or somethin'? What's takin' so long?"

Charlie quickly threw a hair pin under the bed. Spot got on the floor and pretended (sort of) to try to lift the bed. Jack and Davey came up and all three helped. Charlie grabbed the pin and thanked them. As they went downstairs Spot whispered to her.

"Meet me at the bridge."

Later, once the meeting ended, Spot got up up to leave.

"See ya fellas."

"Bye Spot. Have fun talkin' business wit the boidies." Jack said in reply. Spot walked out the door. "Well since that's settled let's go get some lunch. I'm starvin'."

Charlie had to act fast. "Oh no it's one already!"

"Yeah why?" David asked.

"I promised Race. Sorry fellas I can't go."

"What're ya doin' wit Race?" Jack asked.

"He told me ta meet him at Central Park. It's supposed ta be a 'surprise activity.'"

"Ok me and Davey'll go. Maybe we can get Sarah ta take ya place."

"If that happened you'd ditch Davey."

David laughed so hard he couldn't breathe. Jack turned red as Charlie walked out the door. She quickly ran to the races and found Race smoking a Havana cigar watching the races.

"Racetrack!!"

"Ey Charlie."

"Race I'se gotta ask a favor."

"Yeah what?"

"I'se told Jack and Davey I'se couldn't go ta lunch wit 'em cuz I promised I would meet you'se somewhere."

"So? Ya met me somewhere."

"Yeah but the reason why I'se lied is cuz I'se got somewhere else ta be I'se don't want no one ta know bout."

"What is it?"

"I'se just toldja I'se don't want no one ta know."

"Fine. I'll stay away from Jack and Davey. But I'se wanna know why."

"Just cuz..."

"There ain't no just cuz. Tell me or I'll waltz up ta the lodging house an have no idea what they'se talking bout when they'se say that they'se thought you'se was wit me."

"Fine. I'm goin' ta Brooklyn."

"Again? Why?"

"Cuz."

"Charlie..."

"It's complicated Race. I promise I'll tell you'se...but just not right now."

"Fine. Just go."

"You'se the bestest Race!!"

"I'se know. The things I'se do for you'se."

And with that she ran to Brooklyn. She had no idea what was going to happen but she wanted to see him. She had this weird urge to be near him. She hated it. But it had to be satisfied. Her feelings were so confusing and mixed up. But she would worry about it later. Sometimes things can wait.