Chapter 17 Leviathan's Leaving

In the serene night, the haunting howls of wolves reverberated under the moon's gaze, while fireflies danced gracefully over the lake's mirrored surface. Leviathan, observing Samaya sleeping peacefully, approached her and tenderly draped a second animal skin over her. After planting a gentle kiss, he turned his attention to Hyo. “I'm going to hibernate now. Take good care of Samaya,” Leviathan stated, his tone gentle yet resolute. Hyo, his brow furrowing slightly, stole a glance at Samaya before questioning, “You didn't tell her you're leaving tonight. Aren't you afraid she'll resent you for it?”
Leviathan's expression softened, a hint of amusement dancing in his eyes. “She wouldn't blame me. She'd only blame herself for this accident,” he reassured, his voice tinged with fondness. “I don't want to see her cry.” A subtle smile played on his lips as he cast a fleeting glance in Samaya's direction, a sense of satisfaction flickering in his gaze. Indifferent to Leviathan's departure, Hyo saw an opportunity to grow closer to the female he fancied. “Out of sight, out of mind,” Hyo mused, smiling as he returned to the sleeping female. Leviathan transformed into his snake form, gracefully slithered into the forest, and vanished. Hyo sat beside the slumbering female, keeping a vigilant watch over her.

As the morning sunlight bathed the forest in a gentle glow, Samaya, in search of Leviathan, found him missing. Eventually, she encountered Hyo and approached him with a curious expression, silently questioning Leviathan's absence. Despite the language barrier, Hyo attempted to convey Leviathan's departure through gestures and a few simple words. Despite the challenge, Samaya comprehended the reason behind Leviathan's absence. Sensing the tension, Hyo noticed Samaya's somber mood and decided to divert her attention. He led her to the hole, where he had been secretly toiling to create bricks by burning the mud. The pile of stones caught Samaya's eye, and she hastened toward him. Taking his hand, she gestured between him and the stones, seeking an explanation. Hyo, captivated by her beauty, smiled and nodded in response. Samaya, realizing his tireless efforts throughout the night, felt a pang of guilt for having ignored him the previous evening due to the incident with Leviathan.

Determined to make amends, Samaya resolved to treat Hyo to dinner as a gesture of gratitude for his hard work. Gesturing to him and then towards the cave, she indicated her intention to prepare a meal. Hyo, appreciative of her gesture, smiled and agreed to join her. They gathered some meat and vegetables, and Samaya set about preparing a simple stew for both of them. As the aroma of the cooking wafted through the air, Samaya and Hyo sat by the fire. Hyo, who had never tasted her cooking before, aside from the barbecue she had served him, was astounded by the flavor and eagerly devoured everything. The crackling flames illuminated the cave, creating a warm and cozy atmosphere. Samaya, glancing at Hyo's appreciative expression, felt a swell of gratitude wash over her. Here was someone who had worked tirelessly through the night, quietly supporting her endeavors without expecting anything in return. Despite the language barrier, they exchanged smiles and laughter.

After the satisfying meal, they lingered by the fire, enjoying the tranquil evening. Samaya, wanting to express her gratitude, gazed at Hyo with sincerity. Pointing at the bricks he had made and then at him, she conveyed her admiration for his hard work. Hyo nodded in response, displaying a humble smile, pleased that his efforts were acknowledged. As he glanced at her, he couldn't help but think, “I wish I could just sweep her off her feet, but patience is key.” The night unfolded peacefully as they settled down to rest. Little did Samaya know, their journey together was about to take unexpected turns.