Chapter 22 Family Matters

On the day of the snake's return, an unspoken tension hung heavy in the air. Leviathan, returning after a prolonged absence, found the group dynamics altered. The once-familiar atmosphere had shifted, replaced by an electric undercurrent of challenge between him and Hyo. Upon noticing the washed-off paint, Leviathan's fists involuntarily clenched. The realization that Hyo was actually on his level left him grappling with unexpected doubts. “How did I overlook this?” he murmured, his expression darkening. “Nevertheless, he remains inferior to me.”

Inside the house, a palpable sense of anticipation lingered as the trio stood in silence. Outside, the forest whispered with the gentle sounds of nature, unaware of the brewing turmoil within the makeshift family. Leviathan, cognizant of the developments during his absence, exuded an aura of authority, while Hyo, emboldened by his connection with Samaya, stood his ground with confidence. Caught in the middle, Samaya observed the unfolding tension with growing unease. The struggle for dominance within their family teetered on the brink of eruption.

Both Leviathan and Hyo transformed into their beast forms. The air crackled with primal energy as the two formidable creatures faced off outside the house, muscles coiled, and eyes filled with determination. Samaya, fearing they would harm each other, rushed after them. Emerging into the open, she beheld a scene of intense confrontation. The forest bore witness to the clash of scales and claws, the dance of two powerful beings vying for dominance. The fight unfolded with a ferocity that echoed through the trees. Leviathan, with his sinuous and massive snake form, grappled against Hyo, the agile and sleek snow leopard. Each powerful movement in their battle spoke of a struggle not only for territory but for Samaya's attention.

Samaya, torn between her loyalty to Leviathan and the bond she had formed with Hyo, could only watch with a heavy heart. The forest around them seemed to hold its breath, the rustling leaves and distant calls of animals silenced by the intensity of the confrontation.
As the battle waged on, the outcome remained uncertain. In the midst of the fierce confrontation, Samaya couldn't bear witness to the escalating violence between them anymore. Tears streamed down her face as she sprinted between the battling creatures, desperate to put an end to the fight.

The moment Samaya stepped between them, the atmosphere shifted. The clash came to a sudden halt. Both Leviathan and Hyo, momentarily stunned, turned their attention to the tearful female who stood between them. Emotions filled Samaya's eyes as she looked from one to the other. In that intense moment, Hyo, realizing her distress, transformed back into his human form. He raised his hand and signaled to Leviathan that he conceded, a silent acknowledgment that the fight had reached an impasse. Leviathan, still in his snake form, regarded Samaya with concern. A tentative truce that carried the weight of uncharted territory. Still, they would continue the fight later, when she wasn't around. She cast her gaze downward, avoiding eye contact with both Leviathan and Hyo. As she retreated back into the house, she couldn't lift her head out of shame. “How could I allow myself to have another spouse, shameful!"

The flickering firelight within the cozy interior seemed to cast shadows on the strained atmosphere. Samaya, grappling with her own emotions, felt a profound sense of guilt for allowing the conflict to unfold. Hyo, sensing Samaya's distress, approached her with a reassuring presence. In a calm and understanding tone, he explained, “Samaya, in every family of beastmen, establishing a hierarchy between males is a natural process. It's common for conflicts to arise, especially when a newcomer joins. The fight was a way for Leviathan and me to determine our positions within the family.” Samaya, still grappling with the aftermath of the fierce confrontation, looked up at Hyo, her eyes reflecting a mixture of emotions. His words seemed to offer a perspective she hadn't considered. Hyo continued, “Now that the hierarchy is established, we won't have such intense conflicts. It's a way for us to coexist peacefully and understand our roles.”

As the night descended and the cold lingered, Samaya chose to share the night with Hyo. While Samaya asked Hyo to turn into his beast form, he mercilessly declined; he wanted to hold her in his arms as they slept. Leviathan, observing the scene with a fierce gaze, transformed into his beast form and curled up nearby, knowing that his cold skin temperature would be uncomfortable for her now.